[HOWTO] Installing mldonkey on FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpelle

Cadet
Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I hope it will be useful for people around!

I come from a long linux life, having landend to the FreeBSD/FreeNAS world few days ago and I'm definitely loving it!!!

I have successfully managed to install a working copy of mldonkey on my FreeNAS 8 machine, having googled around didn't show me any tutorial on how to do this and I found some requests on this forum as well, so I'm posting here a link to my tutorial, hoping other peolple will be able to accomplish the task!

So, here we go:

[size=+2]HOWTO: Installing mldonkey on FreeNAS 8.0 embedded[/size]

I will be monitoring both comments on my blog and replies on this thread, so if you need any assistance, I will try to do my best!

ProtoSD

MVP
Ciao ilpelle,

Welcome to the FreeNAS 8 forums and the world of UNIX. Thanks for your HowTo, however installing programs on FreeNAS 8 using pkg_add is VERY STRONGLY discouraged, the preferred method is using a Jail. The root partition in FreeNAS is not big enough to handle adding packages and their dependencies and quickly fills up, regardless of how big the flash drive a person is using. Using pkg_add will likely cause FreeNAS to crash or have problems and then people become very upset when they need to reinstall FreeNAS. You might get lucky installing this ONE package, but if people believe this method is ok and try to install other packages, the drive will fill up and fail.

Please consider learning more about FreeNAS and updating your HowTo to utilize a Jail. Also, FreeNAS 8.2 will be available in less than 8 weeks and the plugin system will allow people to add apps using FreeBSD PBI's, also in a jail.

ilpelle

Cadet
Hi protosd,
thank you for your reply.

Of course you are right concerning space usage on the root partition, and I gave as a proven fact.
mldonkey is the only additional software I installed in my root partition, and I checked beforehand whether the total size of the package along with its dependencies was to fill up the available space or not. I will surely add a caveat on my howto.

By the way, thanks for pointing me to jails. I didn't know this BSD-ish way of chrooting, and I am liking it, its full of potential. I tried something like this on my linux CED some time ago, but it involved patching the kernel a lot, this is much more straightforward.

I will give it a try, and eventually update my howto in this direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.