HOWTO backup Google Drive 'computers' to TrueNAS

WootWoot

Cadet
On Google Drive, Actively synced computers go to another section of Google Drive that TrueNAS does not see natively. TrueNAS can only see files in 'My Drive' from Google Drive. So you have to make it see 'Computers'. Short answer: The solution is to 'Add shortcuts' from the web interface. See below...

Specifically if you want to sync:
'Computers' (that have are being actively synced using a gDrive app connect on another Mac/PC/linux/etc. that you use/own)
not only locations under:
'My Drive'
to your TrueNAS instance

In the drive.google.com web interface:
1. On the left side, you should be able to see something like 'Home', 'My Drive', 'Computers', click on 'Computers'. (This assumes you have the gDrive app installed on a computer somewhere and was/is syncing some data/folders.)
2. Click on the '$computer' that your backups have been/are being synced from. It will say the name of the computer there. You can also rename it if you like.
3. You should be able to see the list of folders inside the '$computer' folder. Click on any given folder under that '$computer' folder and find the three vertical dots 'more actions' on the far right. Click the dots/more actions, then go to 'organize' then click 'Add shortcut'. A web window will popup with 'suggested', 'starred', and 'all locations'. Select 'All Locations' and then you will see 'My Drive'. Double click my drive. You can create a folder here to contain your shortcut(s) if you like. I created a folder called 'syncdata' in 'My Drive', then, inside that folder, added the shortcut(s) to the folders I wanted to sync to TrueNAS.

After this, You should be able to see the data from the 'Computers' inside 'My Drive'. With that in place, TrueNAS should be able to see the 'syncdata' folder, including your shortcuts you added and then you can sync using TrueNAS.

After that I followed the below HOWTO to add my sync to TrueNAS: