HOWTO: Adding custom application repositories to SCALE 21.02 and beyond!

ornias

Wizard
@shadofall and @tallnerd1985 I got a sabnzbd PR ready, should be merged somewhere this week :)
SabNZBD PR tests has been completed.
Please be aware this chart is not really GUI plug-and-play, because it needs a manual config file edit due to some weird "security precaution" they implemented that denies access from unknown hostnames.

shadofall

Contributor
SabNZBD PR tests has been completed.
Please be aware this chart is not really GUI plug-and-play, because it needs a manual config file edit due to some weird "security precaution" they implemented that denies access from unknown hostnames.
I'll be sure to put it through its paces :) as I'm trying to do with a few others.. :P

ornias

Wizard
I'll be sure to put it through its paces :) as I'm trying to do with a few others.. :P
Awesome, i'm not 100% happy with this one...
But I think it's fair to delay fixing the upstream fuckups for a later date :)

shadofall

Contributor
Awesome, i'm not 100% happy with this one...
But I think it's fair to delay fixing the upstream ****ups for a later date :)
yeah you know now that you mention it i do remember that oddity on SAB when i switched from nzbget.. not a major deal, anywho so far found a few issues.. one im trying to figure out if I'm just missing something the others i'll get reported shortly

shadofall

Contributor
NZBGet is also included now ;-)

yeah. preference :P so you want these bug reports per app even if its the same issue, or generalized. i'm up to 5 issues so far, (I dig in deep) 4 of which is shared accross multiple (possibly all) apps

ornias

Wizard
yeah. preference :P so you want these bug reports per app even if its the same issue, or generalized. i'm up to 5 issues so far, (I dig in deep) 4 of which is shared accross multiple (possibly all) apps
Maybe move this to the TrueCharts topic ;-)

Nate W

Dabbler
Hey @ornias, thanks so much for putting this post together and your work on the charts.

I've created a few charts in the past and I am interested in helping port the k8s-at-home charts to be TrueNAS friendly with the GUI. Would you mind sharing a rough outline of your process for converting the charts for use with SCALE?

I assume the majority of it is looking at the values file and creating the menu metadata needed to populate them adequately, but I was curious if you had a rough process and any pointers to share.

Thanks!

stavros-k

Patron
Hey @ornias, thanks so much for putting this post together and your work on the charts.

I've created a few charts in the past and I am interested in helping port the k8s-at-home charts to be TrueNAS friendly with the GUI. Would you mind sharing a rough outline of your process for converting the charts for use with SCALE?

I assume the majority of it is looking at the values file and creating the menu metadata needed to populate them adequately, but I was curious if you had a rough process and any pointers to share.

Thanks!
There is some info the TrueChars wiki , Also you can view some of the premade apps on github.
I'll suggest to look at staging repo and not the master. Staging have big changes that will be relevant for 21.04

ornias

Wizard
Thanks @StavrosMadK and @Nate W

Staging also includes significantly improve standardisation and documentation in the /docs folder (which will be put on the wiki as soon as 21.04 launches and staging is merged.

When it comes to porting k8s-at-home:
I think most of what is relevant for us is ported already by me, though some things are left behind.

Some personal selection guidelines:
- Perferably no commercial "trial" software (unless there is a good reason for it, like TrueCommand or very close to full like Traefik)
- Preferably no CLI-Only software (unless there is a good reason for it, like UnifiPoller and/or it runs in a sidecar)
- Preferably no "single ISP" software packages
- Preferably no packages that provide something already provided by TrueNAS itself
- Preferably only containers accepting K8S securityContext (if not, please consider adding a container to our container repository)
- Currently no packages requiring a database (Databases and standardised UI are planned for 21.06)
- No other ingress providers for the time being (it's hard enough to keep one running great).
- Always use the common chart.

I plan to document these guidelines more thoroughly in the future, but I can't do everything at once.

I also suggest looking at the great repository by Nicholas Wilde, whos containers also should be relatively easy to port:

Nate W

Dabbler
Thanks @StavrosMadK and @Nate W

Staging also includes significantly improve standardisation and documentation in the /docs folder (which will be put on the wiki as soon as 21.04 launches and staging is merged.

When it comes to porting k8s-at-home:
I think most of what is relevant for us is ported already by me, though some things are left behind.

Some personal selection guidelines:
- Perferably no commercial "trial" software (unless there is a good reason for it, like TrueCommand or very close to full like Traefik)
- Preferably no CLI-Only software (unless there is a good reason for it, like UnifiPoller and/or it runs in a sidecar)
- Preferably no "single ISP" software packages
- Preferably no packages that provide something already provided by TrueNAS itself
- Preferably only containers accepting K8S securityContext (if not, please consider adding a container to our container repository)
- Currently no packages requiring a database (Databases and standardised UI are planned for 21.06)
- No other ingress providers for the time being (it's hard enough to keep one running great).
- Always use the common chart.

I plan to document these guidelines more thoroughly in the future, but I can't do everything at once.

I also suggest looking at the great repository by Nicholas Wilde, whos containers also should be relatively easy to port:

Where is the staging repo located? I see truenas/charts on github but I do not a staging branch or a secondary repo.

Thanks again for all your work on this.

stavros-k

Patron
Where is the staging repo located? I see truenas/charts on github but I do not a staging branch or a secondary repo.

Thanks again for all your work on this.

Nate W

Dabbler
One last question: Should these charts work today on 21.02 or do they depend upon changes in 21.04? (I know how to import the catalog via CLI as per readme, but wanted to make sure there were no breaking changes which required 21.04).

stavros-k

Patron
One last question: Should these charts work today on 21.02 or do they depend upon changes in 21.04? (I know how to import the catalog via CLI as per readme, but wanted to make sure there were no breaking changes which required 21.04).
The master branch should work on 21.02, but missing a lot of optimizations and you might find a lot of bugs. or none.
The staging branch works with the latest nightly. and is aimed for 21.04 to merge with master

Nate W

Dabbler
Only two things jump out to me is that it isn't immediately obvious when using the GUI with TrueCharts:

1. Which storage pool I am targeting in the "dataset" field. I would assume it is the dataset which is selected for Apps.

2. Is it possible to select a dataset on another pool? Below is what my Plex config looks like, I am not sure how I would do this with the TrueChart version.

This repo is looking fantastic. Super excited.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 8.42.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 8.42.49 AM.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 600

stavros-k

Patron
Only two things jump out to me is that it isn't immediately obvious when using the GUI with TrueCharts:

1. Which storage pool I am targeting in the "dataset" field. I would assume it is the dataset which is selected for Apps.

2. Is it possible to select a dataset on another pool? Below is what my Plex config looks like, I am not sure how I would do this with the TrueChart version.

This repo is looking fantastic. Super excited.
Please read the wiki, it should answer most if not all of your questions https://truecharts.org/general/storage/
:)

Nate W

Dabbler
Please read the wiki, it should answer most if not all of your questions https://truecharts.org/general/storage/
:)

i did read the wiki :D This feedback was about the GUI specially and the wiki appeared to cover modifying the chart itself.

if the wiki was in regard to the GUI, it wasn’t obvious how it could he applied. Happy to help on the documentation so once it hits mainstream you get less questions like this if desired.