HOWTO: Adding custom application repositories to SCALE 21.02 and beyond!

ornias

Wizard
I kinda figured that at this point but my statement should still be more or less valid, started with ones you use. then started down a list of requested based on some sort of priority (even if that priority is at your whim LOL), maybe with some non requested but popular ones in there.

as for the idea that it was merged. to be fair. you look at the list UI list and not github. you see all the major "arr" players, transmission and now nzbhydra, you would probably expect nzbget or sabnzbd to be there as well :P
Well, technically speaking I didn't say you where wrong ;-)

That being said:
The priority was/is a mixture of:
- Apps that I want
- Apps that are required by other apps
- Apps that are easy to port from k8s-at-home because they use the common chart

tallnerd1985

Dabbler
Actually most of whats currently merged isn't used by me personally ;-)

I wonder however where the idea comes from that sabnzbd was merged :P

In all honesty, like what @shadofall said, I kind of expected it there but mainly I was just giving ya grief ;-)

Anyhoo, actually, good work and thanks for converting the charts over. Now I wait for Sabnzbd to complete the setup and to figure out this implementation of Traefik and to get it working in this setup

ornias

Wizard
In all honesty, like what @shadofall said, I kind of expected it there but mainly I was just giving ya grief ;-)

Anyhoo, actually, good work and thanks for converting the charts over. Now I wait for Sabnzbd to complete the setup and to figure out this implementation of Traefik and to get it working in this setup
Yeah, sabnzbd was on the list for stage-3, but there where some small issues...
I'll try to get it in before 21.02 ALPHA launches.

mow4cash

Contributor
I like having a GUI but hope it does not mess up what Scale could really be. With so many helm repos out there I hope we can just bypass using the GUI and not be forced to make custom charts. Last time I was told to fork a repo from Freenas, well let's not go there. I was really hoping to use Scale instead of Ubuntu for Kube the Gitops way with Flux V2 or at the very least docker compose. I'm really excited for this project and can't wait to see the end result. Keep up the great work!

ornias

Wizard
I like having a GUI but hope it does not mess up what Scale could really be.
SCALE is (in the end) just another management layer like portainer.

With so many helm repos out there I hope we can just bypass using the GUI and not be forced to make custom charts.
You can do so just fine. Helm commands are not limited in any way.

Last time I was told to fork a repo from Freenas, well let's not go there.
Who told you, why and when? it was never technically needed for anything.

I was really hoping to use Scale instead of Ubuntu for Kube the Gitops way with Flux V2 or at the very least docker compose.
Fluxv2 should be possible, Docker-Compose is unsupported and you're on your own if anything breaks. to be honest, you might be beter off with stock debian if you want to customise so much, but flux should be possible within stock k8s and hence perfectly fine with SCALE too. :)

mow4cash

Contributor
SCALE is (in the end) just another management layer like portainer.
If Scale is just a container/layer on top of Debian that would be sweet. You could load up Debian and just install Scale with full control of the base Debian install and have persistence to changes made on Debian.

You can do so just fine. Helm commands are not limited in any way.
Awesome!

Who told you, why and when? it was never technically needed for anything.
Remember when Corral tried to implement Docker and had a custom docker file repo, this is not to far off but with helm charts instead. We all know how well that went.

Fluxv2 should be possible, Docker-Compose is unsupported and you're on your own if anything breaks. to be honest, you might be beter off with stock debian if you want to customise so much, but flux should be possible within stock k8s and hence perfectly fine with SCALE too. :)
That's promising top hear FluxV2 may work. That's surprising docker compose is not supported. It's such a basic feature and seems like it would be a simple to support or even integrate into the GUI. I may just stick with debian but It would be cool if Scale could grow to the point it can replace proxmox and debain. I've always enjoyed Truenas GUI management for ZFS, replication, shares, etc when compared to alternatives.

ornias

Wizard
If Scale is just a container/layer on top of Debian that would be sweet. You could load up Debian and just install Scale with full control of the base Debian install and have persistence to changes made on Debian.
Thats not what I said. I said it was a layer on top of debian, because thats what it is. It's still a seperate distro based on debian, but most of it is build on-top of debian (middleware).
It's NOT going to be an application you can install on debian yourself, thats not what is said.

Remember when Corral tried to implement Docker and had a custom docker file repo, this is not to far off but with helm charts instead. We all know how well that went.
I think this is quite far off. It just requires UI elements to be added to a helm chart, which is not something thats even supported by stock helm. There is no other choice if you want to build/add streamlined UI elements to a helm chart.

Also, it's a significant step upwards from CORE Plugins, that are even worse(!) than the corral docker system.

That's promising top hear FluxV2 may work.
Afaik fluxv2 is just normal k8s/helm, so as normal helm/k8s is supported, so is the possibility to run fluxv2. Not with SCALE apps though, but for stock helm/k8s its fine

That's surprising docker compose is not supported. It's such a basic feature and seems like it would be a simple to support or even integrate into the GUI.
You're definately not a developer I think. Because it isn't as "easy" as you think and would also increase the amount of support-calls considerably. It would basically mean they need to make double middlewares AND find a way to have both work at the same time with the same networking design.

Not all current customisations to integrate k8s are 100% compatible with compose either.

It's also not enterprise grade or scaleable. Remember the target audience for SCALE. The prime audience is enterprise and on top of these enterprise features they based Apps to make it accessable for the average home user.

I may just stick with debian but It would be cool if Scale could grow to the point it can replace proxmox and debain. I've always enjoyed Truenas GUI management for ZFS, replication, shares, etc when compared to alternatives.
Remember: SCALE is an applience... While I think it can be a valid contender against proxmox, Debian still has some upsides!

warllo

Contributor
@ornias
@shadofall Everything is abstracted away into TrueNAS SCALE, you don't actually deal with Traefik itself ;-)

It's actually a heavy customised package including cert-manager to automatically fetch any letsencrypt certificates.
Certificate generation might take up to 10 minutes though, be mindfull of that ;-)

With being a customized Traefik package is one able to add configurations that are not for a containerized app? For example, an app requiring a reverse proxy that is not hosted on the scale appliance. I think in Traefik terms it's a file configuration.

stavros-k

Patron
@ornias

With being a customized Traefik package is one able to add configurations that are not for a containerized app? For example, an app requiring a reverse proxy that is not hosted on the scale appliance. I think in Traefik terms it's a file configuration.
For now it cannot from the webui, but if/when @ornias implement this sure it will be very easy to reverse proxy anything even on another machine!

stavros-k

Patron
I was wondering if a gui app to generate the questions yaml would help or be practical.

Once the questions are standardized ofc.

ornias

Wizard
I was wondering if a gui app to generate the questions yaml would help or be practical.

Once the questions are standardized ofc.
The questions.yaml is just one side of the story, it needs to be quite specific to the helm chart and sometimes the chart even needs to be adapted to work nicely with the GUI. For the truecharts common-chart based Apps, I could do this... But for me it's not worth the effort, as I suspect I would be needing to modify it every once in a while, which is time I rather spend on the apps themselves.

shadofall

Contributor
@shadofall and @tallnerd1985 I got a sabnzbd PR ready, should be merged somewhere this week :)

Sweet!, Silly question. is there anything in the current TRUECHARTs deployment wizards that is dependent on the next release build? just checking before I submit a bug report on the github.

Also my test data is owned by a user other than root. should PUID and PGID work as environment variables to allow the container access to the files, or would that have to be done with Security Contexts?

ornias

Wizard
Sweet!, Silly question. is there anything in the current TRUECHARTs deployment wizards that is dependent on the next release build? just checking before I submit a bug report on the github.

Also my test data is owned by a user other than root. should PUID and PGID work as environment variables to allow the container access to the files, or would that have to be done with Security Contexts?
TrueCharts is 21.02 only, which is clearly described everywhere.
TrueNAS SCALE 20.12 doesn't even support custom charts.

shadofall

Contributor
TrueCharts is 21.02 only, which is clearly described everywhere.
TrueNAS SCALE 20.12 doesn't even support custom charts.

I know I'm impatient. just got all these nice little apps I can see and deploy in the Nightly, and then encounter something weird and its like hmm do I report or sit on it till the next actual release mark :P. i'll be more patient

stavros-k

Patron
The questions.yaml is just one side of the story, it needs to be quite specific to the helm chart and sometimes the chart even needs to be adapted to work nicely with the GUI. For the truecharts common-chart based Apps, I could do this... But for me it's not worth the effort, as I suspect I would be needing to modify it every once in a while, which is time I rather spend on the apps themselves.
I see, i haven't messed with any weird chart yet, only a simple docker ported to helm. Questions was the only thing that gave me a bit of hell :D
But yea i can see how this will make it more time consuming that helping!

ornias

Wizard
I see, i haven't messed with any weird chart yet, only a simple docker ported to helm. Questions was the only thing that gave me a bit of hell :D
But yea i can see how this will make it more time consuming that helping!
Help is always greatly appreciated and it's also good to learn how to create charts (it isn't that hard), because it enables you to figure out if anything is wrong with created charts... which would be harder if we need to review automatically generated questions.yaml files with submitters who have no clue what they need to fix...

Anyway, thanks for your effort @StavrosMadK :)