How to replace existing HDD storage (RAID 1) with a bigger one

InGenetic

Contributor
Hi all,

I need your help , i have one freenas system with 2 x 500 GB of HDD , we build this freenas for nextcloud apps on the jail.
i set 2 x 500 GB of HDD as mirror ( RAID 1 ) .

Now , i need to replace both of hdd with the 2 x 6TB of HDD.
Please let me know , how can i replace 2 x 500 GB of hdd with 2 x 6 TB of hdd , without reinstall freenas or nextcloud on jail, because the nextcloud already running, and users already upload their file to nextcloud.

here the screenshot of my freenas :

freenas2.JPG

freenas1.JPG

freenas3.JPG

Please advice ,

Thanks n regards,

Etorix

Wizard
Plug in a new drive. Pool>Storage>(gear)>Status, ada0>(3-dot)>Replace. When it's done, take out the old drive.
Repeat for ada1—if you have two free SATA ports, you can do both drives at the same time.

InGenetic

Contributor
Plug in a new drive. Pool>Storage>(gear)>Status, ada0>(3-dot)>Replace. When it's done, take out the old drive.
Repeat for ada1—if you have two free SATA ports, you can do both drives at the same time.
hi Etorix,

is it just a simple as that ? i plug in a new hardrive , Pool>Storage>(gear)>Status, ada0>(3-dot)>Replace , if the freenas will ask replace to where or which one when i do that ?

migrasi2.JPG

i wanna make sure the step will have to do , by the way, when process replacing , any other notification or some info that we know that hdd still on progress replacing , and when it's done ?
and if replacing ongoing, did the freenas or my nextcloud still acccessible by users ?

Please advice.

Regards,

Etorix

Wizard
Yes it's as simple as figuring out which menus/buttons to use in the GUI. Upon selecting "Replace" you'll be prompted to select which drive to use; there should only be one or two choices—the drives which are not yet in a pool.
The pool is available during resilvering, which you can follow under Pool>(gear)>Status. When it's done there will be a notification in the GUI and you'll see unused drives under Storage>Disks.