How to remove old DC information

Redemption

Dabbler
I read of other people having this problem for years. Domain controller takes a crap, then it is impossible to remove on Truenas. Has anything changed or is there a way to remove the old data to sign in to a new domain controller? The old controller is dead, no way to sync to it. So the remove button only works when the server is sync with DC.

Is there a way to remove or reset via CLI?

NugentS

MVP
I had the same issue. My DC connection shat itself (with possibly a major contributing factor from me, maybe a bit (say 100%)) and I couldn't remove the NAS from the domain to reset the connection.

"When you joined AD with the wrong name it would have clobbered the machine account password and DNS entries for the other server. If you want to clear this stuff out, disable the AD plugin, clear its fields, remove kerberos realm and kerberos principal from old domain. You will also need to go into services->SMB and reset the workgroup to “WORKGROUP” or set it to the correct value for your new domain."

This is what I was told. I was using the dropdowns and it just didn't allow the removal operation. If you empty the fields then you can remove the connection which then allows you to reset the connection.

JFHamilton

Cadet
Ok, so just got hired at this small company. Have a share server with old TrueNAS 6. something version. For some reason when I log into the GUI I see they didn't have a domain included which blew me off (maybe im slow). But, some how a domain just appeared and now I can't delete to reconnect. Any thoughts or what exact info you need to answer what my issue more clearly???

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Holy crap, FreeNAS 0.6? That is positively ancient, how on Earth is it still running? How outdated are the clients to still work with that thing?

I should point out that FreeNAS 0.6 is completely unrelated to FreeNAS 8.x and newer, including TrueNAS, so it's unlikely anyone here can really help you.

JFHamilton

Cadet
Right! They use it basically for a share drive no VM's not even an Active Directory... So, I am trying to update everything but not ask for 20k to replace it all haha. I really want to simple this down honestly. So, no answer for how to remove a Domain? When I YouTube I can't even find a video with the GUI that looks like what I have.... I will screenshot what information I can share when I am in the office.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As I said, 0.6 and 0.7 are a completely unrelated piece of software to TrueNAS.
The continuation of that line is XigmaNAS, formerly NAS4Free, though I expect their community to have some trouble helping out with such an ancient thing.

JFHamilton

Cadet
The build I have is FreeNas-11.1-U6.... When I navigate to Services and click on Domain Controller I see that I have a Realm now which was not there since I have been at this site. Again, they only utilize this for storage not sure why they went this route but here we are. I can ping my server but I am unable to connect to the share. I am thinking it has something to do with the DC and I am not sure how to delete this. I even tried WorkGroup and it won't let me save it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 7.06.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 7.06.38 AM.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 7.09.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 7.09.29 AM.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 85

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, it's a completely different story if you're running 11.x...

JFHamilton

Cadet
Right, this is way outdated but I need to get into to back up everything so I can update the system.

JFHamilton

Cadet
Nvm I figured it out :)... With a few commands and deleting the directory and re adding it seems like it solved the issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The legacy domain controller (not AD member server) role should not be used in production. The version in FreeNAS 11 is EOL and vulnerable to numerous CVEs. You will need to spin up a separate up-to-date Windows or Linux domain controller, create accounts, and migrate them to using that, then configure TrueNAS to join that domain as a domain member (not a domain controller).