How to plan for an ever growing folder share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killervette

Dabbler
So I currently have 4tb in blurays on my unraid server. I am thinking of switching to freeness for raidz. I have 10 1tb drives and 1 2tb with plans to buy 2 more. How should I setup my volumes for a growing bluray folder a movies folder that is 1tb and growing among 3tb of other files. I am a little overwhelmed in planning the data migration.

ProtoSD

MVP
So just to clarify, do your 10 1TB drives and 1 2TB drive have data on them already?
I'm a little confused about what you're asking with
1tb and growing among 3tb of other files.

Definitely go with Raidz2 over z1.

killervette

Dabbler
Sorry. Yeah I have About 9tb of data. 4tb is in a folder bluray. In unraid, I can just add drives and it expands the bluray available storage.

In freenas, I could create 2 (5 x 1tb raidz2) and those would be raid 0 together. If I added another set of 5x1tb to that, would my bluray folder have more available storage. I don't want to have a bluray1 then bluray2 folders and so on.

ProtoSD

MVP
There's not really much point in doing a raid-0 of a raidz2, just make all 10 drive one big raidz2. I'm not sure if you can make a dataset span volumes, that could solve your problem of only wanting one folder for your bluray stuff. @Mattwowen01 could probably tell you off the top of his head if he reads this post later.

killervette

Dabbler
is there a disadvatange to doing the raid0 across them? I dont have much choice because i have to add a couple drives and move my existing data, then add those drives move data....etc.

So you think if i have a dataset on a volume, then add another volume, that dataset might not use the new storage? that would suck.

ProtoSD

MVP
The disadvantage is you're wasting disks, with z2 you can already loose any 2 disks and still access your data, by doing a raid0 your redundancy increases and makes things a little more complicated, but you loose all those other disks you could be storing data on.

So you think if i have a dataset on a volume, then add another volume, that dataset might not use the new storage? that would suck.

No, sorry that's not what I meant. I was thinking a dataset *might* be able to span your volumes which is what you want if you only want one bluray folder. I only use datasets on one volume, so I'm not sure if they can span volumes.

killervette

Dabbler
Lets try this. How would you set the following up:
I have 3 2TB drives and 10 1TB drives.

Bluray folder is at 4TB and growing
Movies is at 1TB and growing
TV is at 2.5TB and growing

I have about 1.5TB of other random crap. I absolutely need redundancy on TV and the random crap. I would like redun. on the bluray and movies too, but i am not 100% on it.

Also, my data is already existing on a server that i will migrate over, so i may not have access to all the disks to start off.

Status
Not open for further replies.