How to monitor individual CPU core usage (running SAMBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttblum

Dabbler
Hello,

I understand that Samba is single threaded and is only able to run on one CPU core. I'd like to see how my hardware is keeping up with CIFS activity, is there a way to monitor the individual CPU cores?

The CPU graph I'm seeing on 9.2.1.5 under Reporting is showing cumulative CPU usage, not per core. Also, I haven't been able to get any SNMP data into my OpenNMS system either to be able to monitor resources that way.

Hello,

I understand that Samba is single threaded and is only able to run on one CPU core. I'd like to see how my hardware is keeping up with CIFS activity, is there a way to monitor the individual CPU cores?

The CPU graph I'm seeing on 9.2.1.5 under Reporting is showing cumulative CPU usage, not per core. Also, I haven't been able to get any SNMP data into my OpenNMS system either to be able to monitor resources that way.
You could try running "top" in the Shell and watch things that way.

FritVetBE

Explorer
Hi there

you can see that information by executing the following command Top -P in ;-)

ttblum

Dabbler
OK, thanks.

I'll try to record historical data with 'top -b -P >> top-data.txt'

ikonspirasi

Cadet
try top -SH
it will show per core performance, including per services that you have activated

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Samba is not single-threaded in the sense you are thinking about. Each smbd process is single threaded, but samba will spawn lots of smbd processes.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Each client connection will get 1 process and then threads in that process will handle that clients requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.