How to migrate to a new physical server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcabrerag

Cadet
Hello community, hope somone can help me; i have a basic freenas running on old AMD MicroServer and now i have a new computer Core i5 with 16GB. The question is How can i migrate everything to the new computer without losing data? Is there any best practice or procedure? i was thinking on a fresh freenas install with a new flash drive and then replace the hardrive from the old computer to the new one...is this correct? Will it be the same config info? Too many questions sorry...

Thanks for the help.

garm

Wizard
Should be a write up somewhere about this. But basically you install FreeNAS on the new machine, pull the drives out of the old machine and copy the config. The put the drives in the new machine and load the config. Fix the network card assignments and you should be good to go

chris crude

Patron
Copy your current configuration System ‣ General ‣ Save Config you may not need this, but it is good to have it just in case of a problem
Transplant all drives, boot drive and data drives to new system.
You might receive a new address to access FreeNAS because you are connecting to a new network interface. Here you might need IPMI, or to attach a monitor, or check your router to see what new IP it has given out. Thats it, really easy, only "hard" part is figuring out what new address you receive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.