How to install Zerotier?

no_connection

Patron
Since both iX and ZT are bickering and pointing fingers like children about it instead of working out a solution I have to rely on someone else figure out how to reliably get ZT on FN.
"Package ZeroTier (labeled as such) and distribute it for free in an app store or other software repository "
That would mean it can be packaged as a plugin just like any other software in there.

There is also the option to install it directly but how would that be made reliable and non breaking?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Last I heard, ZT had changed licenses to one that wasn't compatible with the BSD license, so iX removed ZT beginning with 11.3. Small loss, though; it's only with the greatest charity that FreeNAS' previous support for ZT could be described as "half-assed." Why can't it be installed in a jail like, well, pretty much anything else?

no_connection

Patron
According to ZT there is no problem to integrate it to FN and it was 100% a decision from iX to pull it.
After a lot of poking cause they would not give a decent answer they finally replied that to use it in TrueNAS they would have needed a commercial license, but ZT would not respond any further when I pointed out there is no applicable option on the license page. Only a "contact us" option.
ZT says they got contacted a while back by iX and replied with some questions but iX never got back to them.

Why can't it be installed in a jail like, well, pretty much anything else?
Would that add a NIC to FN and also allow bridging with a physical NIC or vlan?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would that add a NIC to FN and also allow bridging with a physical NIC or vlan?
I'd assume so--others are installing OpenVPN at least (and I think other VPN solutions too) in jails, and I'd expect they'd have similar requirements.

no_connection

Patron
Code:
root@ZT:~ # git clone http://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne.git
Cloning into 'ZeroTierOne'...
warning: redirecting to https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne.git/
remote: Enumerating objects: 36390, done.
remote: Total 36390 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 36390
Receiving objects: 100% (36390/36390), 71.63 MiB | 1.51 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (25764/25764), done.
root@ZT:~ # cd ZeroTierOne
root@ZT:~/ZeroTierOne # make
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 5: Missing dependency operator
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 7: Need an operator
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 9: Missing dependency operator
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 10: warning: duplicate script for target "ifeq" ignored
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 6: warning: using previous script for "ifeq" defined here
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 11: Need an operator
make: "/root/ZeroTierOne/Makefile" line 13: Missing dependency operator

Well that is a fail.