How to improve performance of copying between datsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Blue

Dabbler
I just started creating multiple datasets and moving files between them. When I move files on the FreeNas machine within console, and I get on a different computer and stream video to watch from the FreeNas machine, I sometimes get small hiccups in the video at the beginning or random times throughout watching the video.

Usually these are very small hiccups and overall this isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve performance of moving between datasets. I tried using the "nice" command when executing "mv", but that doesn't seem to do much when looking at CPU usage when I use "top".

I was curious if anyone else knew a better way to do so. Or is there something I specifically could upgrade that would probably give better performance?

True_Blue

Dabbler
Hey gpsguy, thanks a lot for that thread. I read it through and the OP seemed to have very similar problems that I have.

I wanted to use multiple datasets mainly for the permissions aspect of them. I want to have different permissions for different folders, and it looked like datasets were the best solution. The moving of files though is such a bad trade-off, that I just can't seem to be comfortable with datsets.

I've found a different solution that I think will work pretty nicely. My Volume gives the owner, group, and everyone full permission. And then through the console, I've changed permissions for certain folders. This lets in the people I want to certain folders and locks them out of others. I was hoping to do this through the GUI, but I'm not willing to use datasets now after seeing the performance hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.