How to create a system

• Thread starter Deleted member 34036
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

I have been trying to configure a system for our office:Please help me out.

I want to have enough redundancy:

List of Hardware's:
1. Supermicro server
2. 7200Rpm seagate disks

I am thinking to create a group with 48 x 3 TB HDD + 1 SSD for caching and 7 spare HDD in the group..kindly suggest if I am thinking in the right way. Or else kindly suggest me the best way to build a system with enough redundancy using 55 x 3TB HDD + 1 (120 GB SSD). Kindly find the system info in the attached file.

Thanks,

Sharfraj

Attachments

• freenas System.jpg
    freenas System.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 203

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Second, read my noob guide(link in my sig). You're going to need more than 32GB of RAM unless this is a backup-only server.

D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

Thanks for kind replies.

But my doubt is if I create a single pool using 48 Hard disks from the total of 55 Hard disks (3 TB each) in RAID Z configuration and assign the left 7 more Hard disks as spare; while configuring and also add a SSD (120 GB) as cache to the pool. Will it work well and provide redundancy and take over a spare disk from the 7 spare disk; if in case a disk fails and the system remains up and running.
Using this configuration I am able to get 120 TB usable from 165 TB Raw HDD space (55x3=165 TB).

In the meantime I am going through the manuals/guides.

Thanking you once again,

regards,

Sharfraj

D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

Recently i got this error when I tried wiping the disks:

Error: Failed to wipe da2: dd: /dev/da2: Operation not permitted

While wiping I get the same error on several disks

If I go to create Pools in Zvolume manager I get "Unable to GPT format the disk "da2"

Please guide me what's the problem

regards,

Sharfraj

D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

The problem has been solved.

I have solved this "Unable to GPT format the disk "da2" problem. I got this error on several disks when I tried wiping. Eventually, I took out all those identified disks, connected the same disks to windows 7 system and formatted those disks in windows and created a simple volume. And before formatting, I partitioned those disks in GPT. Thats it!

When I again booted up the machine using FreeNAS, I am able to create volumes again and the error was gone.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.