How to copy volume to different hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
I've looked around but I'm confused on exactly how to copy a volume that I need to start fresh on, to another external drive as a backup. I've had lots of issues with this pool, so I'm going to speed up my plan of replacing the drives with bigger ones, and replace what seems to be a common factor between all the issues I've had, my Cable Matters minisas to sata breakout cables. It might not even be those that are causing problems, but it wouldn't hurt to change them out.

But right now I just need to transfer my MediaVolume volume to my Backup1 volume, but I can't figure out how. I've tried following this guide without any luck.

Code:
NAME		   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG	CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROO
T																			  
Backup1	   3.59T   412K  3.59T		 -	 0%	 0%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
MediaVolume   16.2T  2.32T  13.9T		 -	 2%	14%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
PlexJail	   460G  3.44G   457G		 -	 3%	 0%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
freenas-boot  29.8G  2.97G  26.8G		 -	  -	 9%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

This is what my zpool looks like. I thought I was going to be successful at one point, but it said the volume is busy. It might be from the resilvering, if it is, how do I stop the resilver so I can copy the volume over?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think there is another way to get it done for you. I'll need to look at this more closely when I get to my office.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
After looking through the guide you linked to, I am curious what you mean by not having any luck.
Is your backup drive connected by USB? That usually isn't the best / fastest way.
What did you do?
Did you you get some error?

Status
Not open for further replies.