How to change Boot from USB to SSD

profwalken

Patron
Hi,
i'd like to change my freeenas boot device from one 16Gb USB Stick to a mirror pool of 2 sata SSD 120Gb (kingston)
I surely need to backup server config to a file, but after I don't know how to proceed , is it possible to have a step by step process ?

Thanks a lot for those who can give me best pratice for this to avoid desaster.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Install on the SSD(s), boot from the SSD(s), upload the saved config file. As long as your pool isn't encrypted, you're good to go.

profwalken

Patron
Hi Danb35,
Thanks for your reply, it sounds too easy, if i add two SSD i have to install only on one, how to make the boot mirror with 2SSD? is it once server is running with first SSD boot that i need to go in storage and make a new mirror ?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

dlp1950

Dabbler
How do you back up the existing pool and move it to a fresh boot if it is locked?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the pool is encrypted, you should already have the keys downloaded. Boot from your new installation, unlock the pool using one of those keys, and you should be set.

dlp1950

Dabbler
I inherited this system from someone else, who was disenfranchised from the business. I had a flash drive fail, so I did a fresh install using SSD's instead of flash drives. The office staff was unable to log in, and it did not display any of the Pools on the new install. I did reload the config files from a backup. In any case, I don't know how to backup and move the pools to the new install. So they could keep working I removed the SSD's and reinstalled the working flash drive, and it works, but I still need to get the new drives in and the system working. The next problem is that I am really new to this server concept. So any help is greatly appreciated from a master guru like yourself.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, I haven't worked with encrypted pools, so I don't know that I can offer much help--but if you don't have the keys, or usable access to the media on which they're stored, I doubt you'll be able to recover the data.

PetrZ

Dabbler
I had installation on two mirrored USBs. Removed one from mirror, replaced with SSD, after resilvering I did same with second member of raid.
Not even reboot is needed, but it's good idea to try it anyway. :)

Last edited:

dlp1950

Dabbler
I had tried to remove one of the mirrored drives, and when trying to resilver it i got an error message. I guess even though the drive was spec'ed to be the same it wasn't. It was smaller and the error was apparently the result of the smaller size. I have now replaced the first drive and will do the second one tomorrow to be sure the resilvering is complete. New drive and no reboot needed, you are most correct.

dlp1950

Dabbler
Hi,
i'd like to change my freeenas boot device from one 16Gb USB Stick to a mirror pool of 2 sata SSD 120Gb (kingston)
I surely need to backup server config to a file, but after I don't know how to proceed , is it possible to have a step by step process ?

Thanks a lot for those who can give me best pratice for this to avoid desaster.

I couldn't figure it out using FreeNAS 11.1, but with FreeNAS 11.2 it is really simple. Your right, backup your config file. Run the update to FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE-U1 and then backup you config file again, just in case.

Power down and add your first SSD 120 and boot up. Under "Storage" select "Disks" and locate the disk you just added noting the name. Now go to "System" and select "Boot Environment". Now select "BOOY POOL STATUS". You'll see a couple entries there, locate the one for "freeness-boot" and to the far right you'll see three vertical dots, click on them and a box will open that says "Attach". Click in it and a window will open, on the Member Disk line click the arrow at the right to select your disk, click the box to "Use all disk space" and then click SAVE. A window should open to say Attaching Disk, and you should see a message when it is complete.

Once finished, you can repeat the process by removing your USB stick and adding the second SSD. Once this is done you should see you mirror indication in the BOOT POOL STATUS.