How to Burn In System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdgenxr

Contributor
I've read through the "Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system" and have completed 5 passes of memtest86+ with no problems. Now I would like to move on to stress testing the CPU and hard drives. Does anyone know of some good step by step guides out there? FreeBDS is new to me and most of the stress tests I see out there run on Windows.

Fraoch

Patron

sdgenxr

Contributor
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I've read through that post along with the new posts by @jgreco. I was looking for something geared a little more towards the complete freeBSD newbie as I see what the overall goal is, just not how to do each step.

Example, what do I do with this command?
Code:
dd if=/dev/da${n} of=/dev/null bs=1048576

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I've read through that post along with the new posts by @jgreco. I was looking for something geared a little more towards the complete freeBSD newbie as I see what the overall goal is, just not how to do each step.

Code:

The same you do with all commands you are given. Type it in a terminal session.

Fraoch

Patron

Code:

Sorry, I think I quoted the wrong thread (though you definitely should use @jgreco 's latest script in that thread.) The one I was referring to was:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/checking-new-hdds-in-raid.12082/

The best explanation is in this post:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/checking-new-hdds-in-raid.12082/#post-85381

Just type this in:

Brian M said:
# for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5; do (press return it will then start a new line where you continue)
> dd if=/dev/ada${i} of=/dev/null bs=1048576 & (press return again)
> done (after pressing return it will actually run the above commands)

Type this into a shell, accessible on the left side of the web interface near the bottom. Don't type this in over a remote session (SSH, using PuTTY, for example) - I find it didn't work.

This is for 6 drives (0-5). If you have less, reduce the number. Also if you installed FreeNAS on an old SSD or hard drive, omit the "0" and start the list 1 2 3 etc.

sdgenxr

Contributor
@Froach Thanks for posting your little script. Now I see what is going on and where the first bits of code was missing information to run.

Regarding @jgreco script, how do I runt it? If I past it into the paste section of the shell command, the "OK" button disappears. Do I upload it to my flash drive and call it from there, if so, what are the commands to run it?

Fraoch

Patron
Here's what I did. Right-click the link in a browser and select "copy link". Then in an SSH session, use the 'wget' command:
Code:
wget [paste the link]

Find the script name by listing the contents of the current directory:
Code:
ls

Then execute the code using "./" before the script name. Just type the first few characters of the script name and press Tab.

If you get errors after any of these commands related to permissions, try 'sudo' in front of the command and enter the root password.

I'm not sure, but you may need to mount the filesystem read/write before the wget command in order to write the script into the file system. See here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-files-disappearing-on-reboot.1357/#post-5763

Ignore the 'ee' command, just use the first mount command and the second mount command after you're done.

sdgenxr

Contributor
I'm able to use wget with the ftp link but I'm not sure what program to run. The commands that are show are:
Code:
./               .k5login         .ssh/            save_sshkeys*
../              .login           change_password* update*
.bashrc          .profile         save_cfg*        updatep1*
.cshrc           .shrc            save_rrds.sh*    updatep2*

Fraoch

Patron
Weird, it should be sitting right there, in the same directory you invoked wget.

You sure wget didn't error out with some message about not being able to save the file?

Try mounting the filesystem read-write as the link I posted outlined.

sdgenxr

Contributor
Here's what I get when I execute the commands.
[root@freenas] ~# ./solnet-array-test-v2.sh
./solnet-array-test-v2.sh: Permission denied.
[root@freenas] ~# sudo ./solnet-array-test-v2.sh
sudo: ./solnet-array-test-v2.sh: command not found

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You need to add execute permissions to the file.

chmod +x solnet-array-test-v2.sh

sdgenxr

Contributor
Thanks for the help @SweetAndLow. How do I know if that command took and the test is running? I don't see anything in the reporting that shows increased CPU utilization or in disk I/O,

mjws00

Guru
The script brings up a menu. Then writes to the screen.

Go to the directory you saved in type

#/bin/sh solnet-array-test-v2.sh

sdgenxr

Contributor
I'm not sure what I did differently, but the script seems to be running and I'm getting a menu to execute various tests. About how long should the test take to run on a 4TB drive?

Fraoch

Patron
The test isn't supposed to finish although someone reported that it did. It's just supposed to loop indefinitely in order to stress-test the drives. Just CTRL+C to stop it.

You should also try the SMART conveyance, short and long tests outlined in the thread I posted as well, along with the iozone tests. The iozone tests can be run on drives in a zpool. The last iozone test listed is a doozie, I started it 5 days ago and it's still running!

@jgreco advises that you should test your server for 1000 hours (!) before declaring it production-ready. If the drives fail, having them fail before committing any data to them is better.

pjc

Contributor
I've posted my findings thus far in this thread. I'll post a patch shortly for infinite looping.

Fraoch

Patron
Obviously it was @pjc that reported it didn't loop.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.