How to archive email

technopop

Dabbler
I work with someone who uses hosted Exchange/Office 365 and they apparently have over 10GB of e-mail, and apparently, it's all very important to keep around.

Navigating their box using Outlook is painfully slow.

I'm wondering what the best way to bring their mail down locally and archive it would be?

I suppose using a local PST file and having it reside on FreeNAS might be one option but regardless of improved size limitations, I find PST files cranky at best.

I see there's a service called mail store. The home version works only on Windows while he's entirely on Macs.

I'm thinking of a local mail server and connecting to it via IMAP just to simply use it as a mail storage/archive right now.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I work with someone who uses hosted Exchange/Office 365 and they apparently have over 10GB of e-mail, and apparently, it's all very important to keep around.

Navigating their box using Outlook is painfully slow.

I'm wondering what the best way to bring their mail down locally and archive it would be?

I suppose using a local PST file and having it reside on FreeNAS might be one option but regardless of improved size limitations, I find PST files cranky at best.

I see there's a service called mail store. The home version works only on Windows while he's entirely on Macs.

I'm thinking of a local mail server and connecting to it via IMAP just to simply use it as a mail storage/archive right now.

They are already using hosted exchange. See what backup and archive options the hosting company offers. For instance, I think you can add archiving to a rackspace account for a couple of dollars extra per email address. Adding another internal mail server seems like it would just be adding complexity for minimal gain.

As far as outlook slowness goes - replace the hard drive in their boxes with an SSD.

Last edited:

technopop

Dabbler
Office 365 E1. He works with his e-mail and wants access to email from a macbook and a mac pro using outlook 2016.

It is an OST file. We upgraded from 2013 to 2016 recently and it took 12 hours for the import to finish. He mentioned there were a few hundred thousand messages in there.

Would it be easier to bring the archive in house and have it back up to the offsite?

They're a small video production company that is already syncing with an offsite freenas server. If something were to happen to the on site archive, the offsite machine with 120TB can be retrieved and brought online in 2 hours.

blanchet

Guru
Any backup solution for Microsoft Office 365 should work. For example Veeam