How many ram I need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateus Bapista

Dabbler
@cyberjock

Today I was reading your .ppt "ZFS Storage and other FreeNAS information",
and I have a question about the memory usage by FreeNAS.
The freenas guide said: ".. a general rule of thumb is 1 GB of RAM for every 1 TB of storage."
You said: "So if you have 5TB of storage you’d need 13GB of RAM for FreeNAS, ..."

So I want build a storage with 520TB RAW, how many minimal ram i need ? 520GB or 1352GB?
I want to put all capacity of my mainboard but I just have 24 slots, so is impossible put 1352GB,
and the price of the 64GB memory is inaccessible.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
8 GB base, plus 1 GB RAM / TB of capacity, is the rule of thumb (thus 8 GB base + 5 GB = 13 GB), but it's a very loose rule of thumb. Applying it directly to your system would mean 528 GB of RAM, but at the scale you're talking about, the RAM requirement is going to be heavily driven by the specifics of your use case. You may need a lot more, or a lot less.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your motherboard has 24 slots for ram? Something isn't adding up here. What is your expected hardware?
@cyberjock

Today I was reading your .ppt "ZFS Storage and other FreeNAS information",
and I have a question about the memory usage by FreeNAS.
The freenas guide said: ".. a general rule of thumb is 1 GB of RAM for every 1 TB of storage."
You said: "So if you have 5TB of storage you’d need 13GB of RAM for FreeNAS, ..."

So I want build a storage with 520TB RAW, how many minimal ram i need ? 520GB or 1352GB?
I want to put all capacity of my mainboard but I just have 24 slots, so is impossible put 1352GB,
and the price of the 64GB memory is inaccessible.

Thanks

It's possible he plans to use a board like this http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRE-TF_.cfm as it has 24 DIMM's , min i would want would be x18 32Gb DIMM's as that would give you 576Gb of RAM, since 64Gb DIMM's are out of reach 32's might be your only option. Even if you fully populated all 24 DIMMs with with 8Gb sticks you'd get 192Gb total, and with x24 16Gb DIMMs 384Gb total

Status
Not open for further replies.