How does Truenas track snapshot age/deletion?

ddrucker

Dabbler
In Periodic Snapshot Tasks, you set a Snapshot Lifetime. Where is that lifetime actually stored?

Suppose I have weekly snapshots kept for 3 months and also hourly snapshots kept for a week. Both share the naming schema auto-%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M.

How does the system know which snapshots to remove when? It clearly knows and does it correctly; I'm just wondering about the mechanism.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There was a thread around somewhere where it's discussed.

Going from memory, there are 2 answers:

1. For replication tasks, the management of snapshots according to the replication task settings is done by zettarepl (the tool used to actually do the replication).

2. For periodic snapshot tasks, the task itself (possibly together with the middleware) is doing the job... as far as we can tell.

sretalla