How does "Gathering Interest" work in Jira suggestion issues (and how can I help move it forward)?

taupehat

Explorer
I've just posed a small request, that mtr be added to future releases:

My concern is that this request is small enough that it'll never pass through whatever gatekeeping system "Gathering Interest" implies. I know it's a small thing but it's also easy to do and would be extremely helpful solving various network problems.

So how does one help their small feature request become reality?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
We usually wait for 10 votes then review and decide on bringing the feature into the roadmap.

Best way is to post your feature request (as you did here) and hopefully others see and vote on it :)

Kris that sure makes me curious how many times NAS-100085 has be discussed lol

@taupehat what is MTR?

taupehat

Explorer
Basically it's a traceroute tool that updates continuously - think of the "top" command for example. It's got a ton more options etc but that's basically what it does. It's a lightweight tool that does one thing very well.

In my case we have a geographically and logically large and complex network at work and we're constantly using that tool to look for things like intermittent problems along a route, BGP flaps, etc. In the use case I have in mind, we have two FreeNAS arrays which replicate to one another across a WAN and occasionally the replication will fail for no obvious reason so on a non-appliance device I'd just set mtr running along that path and see where the fault was cropping up.

I guess there's an "mtr-tiny" port that would be best for this system as the regular mtr port pulls in a bunch of X11 junk that's not needed or wanted on a FreeNAS array.

taupehat

Explorer
So what's keeping you from running mtr in a jail?
Nothing, but it won't provide the same data as running from the arrays themselves. I could more easily stand up an ESX VM on the same network if I wanted to go that route.

ornias

Wizard
Nothing, but it won't provide the same data as running from the arrays themselves. I could more easily stand up an ESX VM on the same network if I wanted to go that route.
A VM != a jail.

What data are you missing from running MTR in a jail?

taupehat

Explorer
More like adding - using a jail adds networking differences between the host and the wire. Are they really close? Sure. Are they identical? No.

ornias

Wizard
More like adding - using a jail adds networking differences between the host and the wire. Are they really close? Sure. Are they identical? No.
Depends, there are many different ways of using jails.
But the "host networking" option just directly connects a jail to the host port afaik.