How does Cloud Sync know which files are synchronized and verify no corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majerus

Contributor
How does Cloud Sync know which files are synchronized, and verify no corruption at replication target? I just set this up with b2 and was kinda curious.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I did a little reading on the subject and I got the impression that it works similarly to rsync in that it compares the two files to see if they are the same and only pushes the local file to the cloud if the local file is different from the one on the cloud service. I couldn't find anything specifically saying how the files are compared; size, date, etc. I have a utility on my system that actually looks inside the file (searching for duplicates) and compares the content regardless of file name or date. I don't think it does that much because it would need to transfer too much data.

majerus

Contributor
Got ya, I was thinking something along those lines as well otherwise your transport costs would be quite high. So far I just have a couple sync'ed directories until encryption is enabled (11.2 i hear) at that point I will backup about 1TB. Just would like to know the backups are good without needing to check them personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.