SOLVED How do I set up security credentials for a Windows share

P0PC47

Dabbler
WARNING: SUPER JANKY

Hello fellow FreeNASers. I successfully made a fast working server out of these two systems:
Data transfer/computing power
I swapped the 4GB of RAM for a combination of 2x4GB and 1x8GB equaling 16GB of RAM.
To power the drives I stacked one of these on top and ran the SATA cables out of the PCI expansion slots.
Why exactly am I posting this? Well... As I said before, "I successfully made a fast working server..." except, there's only one problem. I can currently access the server just fine without a password, but ever since I accidentally reset the server back to default settings (this was while I was still experimenting with it) I was never able to get the password to work. I have reset the system again and followed this YouTube tutorial that I used the first time to setup the password and no dice. Am I stupidly missing something? Is there something that I didn't do in the video? Please check all links for information on what I did.

P.S. i'm 13 so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

WARNING: SUPER JANKY

Seems legit to me.. While maybe not recommended, it should work fine for serving up some personal media and such.

Who are you logging into the web GUI as?

Do you know the root credentials? It seems from the pics you can get into the web GUI then just go switch the password (if loggin in as root). Its under Accounts. Im not sure exactly what you want to accomplish, the root password is set when you install the system. Im not sure resetting defaults also resets password. Never tried it, but im unaware of FreeNAS having a default password.

I skimmed that video you posted. If following that, where he creates the user "homeuser" if its me, id make my user the exact same as your windows user.

P0PC47

Dabbler
Seems legit to me.. While maybe not recommended, it should work fine for serving up some personal media and such.

Who are you logging into the web GUI as?

Do you know the root credentials? It seems from the pics you can get into the web GUI then just go switch the password (if loggin in as root). Its under Accounts. Im not sure exactly what you want to accomplish, the root password is set when you install the system. Im not sure resetting defaults also resets password. Never tried it, but im unaware of FreeNAS having a default password.

What i'm trying to accomplish is setup my pool to have a password setup. Say if someone were to "hack into" my internet, my server is protected by a password that way I can have a line of defense against attackers.

I am logging in with the root credentials in the web UI as you can see here.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
What i'm trying to accomplish is setup my pool to have a password setup. Say if someone were to "hack into" my internet, my server is protected by a password that way I can have a line of defense against attackers.

I am logging in with the root credentials in the web UI as you can see here.
I'm not sure if you intend encryption for your pool, which if access is gained (like if FreeNAS account password is guessed) would not prevent anything, or if you simply wish to have a more secured account. The password protected account is still only mildly effective compared to the protection a firewall such as OPNsense (which is based upon HardenedBSD, a secured FreeBSD derivative) would provide to prevent those outside accessing your LAN such as from the Internet.

I wish you sucess in all that you attempt. I hope that further replies will give you the information you need.

P0PC47

Dabbler
I'm not sure if you intend encryption for your pool, which if access is gained (like if FreeNAS account password is guessed) would not prevent anything, or if you simply wish to have a more secured account. The password protected account is still only mildly effective compared to the protection a firewall such as OPNsense (which is based upon HardenedBSD, a secured FreeBSD derivative) would provide to prevent those outside accessing your LAN such as from the Internet.

I wish you sucess in all that you attempt. I hope that further replies will give you the information you need.

Thank you for your response. At the moment all I wish to do is make it so you have to "sign in" to access the NAS from the network on Windows 10. I am simply asking for help of how to do this as I have done everything that the tutorial on YouTube says to do only succeeding the first time before the NAS was reset.

In the web GUI just switch the password to something you know. Accounts>users

P0PC47

Dabbler
I still have not fixed this. I do not want to re-install FreeNAS unless I really have to. All I want is for this to show up as I want a password login to FreeNAS as a sort of "line of defense" to attackers.
1591885954681.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to create a local user, assign a password and set up ACLs for your share. Unfortunately I have no clue about the details.

Please change the title of your thread to something more appropriate (like "How do I set up access controls for a Windows share") and some of the people who know SMB around here will probably come to help.

P0PC47

Dabbler
You need to create a local user, assign a password and set up ACLs for your share. Unfortunately I have no clue about the details.

Please change the title of your thread to something more appropriate (like "How do I set up access controls for a Windows share") and some of the people who know SMB around here will probably come to help.

Thank you for the reply. I found that apparently disabling "Guest Access" enabled the password and I was able to sign in as "Home User" like in the video tutorial on YouTube.