How do I get a certificate/key into a container?

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
I think I've figured out how to make certificates (and CAs) in TrueNAS SCALE.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a key and certificate I made into a container (made via the "Launch Docker Image" button). If this was plain Kubernetes, I'd just make a volume mapping that puts a secret into a file inside the container. But this is TrueNAS, and I see no facility for mapping certificates-in-TrueNAS to container files... or, for that matter, to anything else. I see the button for retrieving the generated key and certificate, but that can't be it, can it?

To make this very concrete, the "registry" container allows me to specify TLS operation by configuring a file path (inside the container) for the TLS key and certificate files. How do I make this container use a key/certificate generated in TrueNAS? (Specifically one that I obtained from Let's Encrypt's ACME service via DNS authorization.)

Apologies if this is obvious to experts. I'm new around here, so I'm still trying to find my way around...

Cheers
-- perry

danb35

Hall of Famer
I see no facility for mapping certificates-in-TrueNAS to container files
I don't believe there is any such facility--TrueNAS' ACME cert feature is really only intended to obtain a cert for the NAS itself (TrueCharts at one time supported using that cert for its apps, but this is no longer the case; I don't believe this was ever supported for the "official" apps). It's possible the cert could be extracted using the API and placed into the filesystem, but I wouldn't really know where to start there. If you're wanting a cert for a container's web interface, the general way to do that is to put the container behind a reverse proxy (e.g., Traefik or Nginx Proxy Manager), and let that proxy handle TLS termination.

Otherwise, the thing to do would be to put, e.g., acme.sh somewhere on your system, use it to get the desired cert, and put that cert into whatever host path you have set up for your container.

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
So TrueNAS SCALE really has no machinery for managing secrets for its apps? No interface to Docker secrets, no interface to Kubernetes secrets?

Is there any document out there describing how IXSystems thinks these pieces should fit together? Is that on a feature list somewhere, or are we on our own? I realize that TrueCharts has basically decided to use (their own version of) the k8s certificate manager for this...

Cheers
-- perry

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there any document out there describing how IXSystems thinks these pieces should fit together?
I haven't seen any evidence that iX has any concept of these pieces fitting together.