How close is TrueNAS's snapshot feature compared with Apple's Time Machine?

Hi, I am considering between TrueNAS and OverMediaVault. One of the determining factors is the ability to save different versions of file(s) and go back in history to retrieve any version I want. How close is TrueNAS's snapshot feature compared with Apple's Time Machine?

One example is I have TrueNAS installed on Computer1. I use it to backup another computer running Windows 10 or 11 (Computer2). I take snapshots of all or selected group of files from Computer2 and store them on Computer1. This can be done either whenever I like (manually) or have it done automatically (say once a day). If I want, I can go back to Computer1 to retrieve any previously stored version of file(s).

For instance, I created a file on Monday and take snapshot of it everyday. Then, on Sunday, I realized that I made a mistake on Wednesday. Since my work on Thursday, Friday and Saturday were built upon on what I had on Wednesday (which means they are all wrong), I want to retrieve the file which was backed up on Tuesday and start all over again. Can TrueNAS do that reliably?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Time Machine is an odd benchmark in a Windows environment.

That said, TrueNAS can expose snapshots via SMB, which show up on Windows in the "Previous Versions" tab, like the old Volume Shadow Copy functionality did.

One example is I have TrueNAS installed on Computer1. I use it to backup another computer running Windows 10 or 11 (Computer2). I take snapshots of all or selected group of files from Computer2 and store them on Computer1. This can be done either whenever I like (manually) or have it done automatically (say once a day). If I want, I can go back to Computer1 to retrieve any previously stored version of file(s).
This exact functionality would not pair well with snapshots, since they are purely server-side, rather it would be handled by whatever your backup solution is (Time Machine I guess?).

For instance, I created a file on Monday and take snapshot of it everyday. Then, on Sunday, I realized that I made a mistake on Wednesday. Since my work on Thursday, Friday and Saturday were built upon on what I had on Wednesday (which means they are all wrong), I want to retrieve the file which was backed up on Tuesday and start all over again. Can TrueNAS do that reliably?
Sure. For maximum ease of use, just store your stuff directly on the server (which is fine for office work and for anything where you grab stuff, modify it, and write it back in bulk). If storing on the client, your backup solution comes into play, but that's going to be the same story regardless of what server you use.

Time Machine is an odd benchmark in a Windows environment.

That said, TrueNAS can expose snapshots via SMB, which show up on Windows in the "Previous Versions" tab, like the old Volume Shadow Copy functionality did.

This exact functionality would not pair well with snapshots, since they are purely server-side, rather it would be handled by whatever your backup solution is (Time Machine I guess?).

Sure. For maximum ease of use, just store your stuff directly on the server (which is fine for office work and for anything where you grab stuff, modify it, and write it back in bulk). If storing on the client, your backup solution comes into play, but that's going to be the same story regardless of what server you use.

I am very sorry but I think there may be a misunderstanding. Let's clarify:

I don't have a Mac to run Time Machine. I used to be a Mac user but moved to Windows and Linux the past few years.
I want to know if TrueNAS can act in a way (similar to Time Machine) when I use it to back up a Windows PC and perhaps also a Linux PC.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, everything I said stands. On the server, you can snapshot on schedule (or at will). If you want to store stuff on the client, you'll need something to do the backups to the server - the options are varied and opinions often strong. But the bottom line is that it's fundamentally possible.

Etorix

Wizard
"Snapshot" is a ZFS feature. Since your client computer presumably does not use ZFS, it does not take snapshots, it backs up its files to the NAS, using whatever utility is available to the client, and the NAS then snapshots the backup. Once that is done, the end result is similar to TimeMachine: You can go back in time, mount a snapshot to present a complete, read-only, of the back up at the time the snapshot was taken, and then copy old valid files back to the client.

"Snapshot" is a ZFS feature. Since your client computer presumably does not use ZFS, it does not take snapshots, it backs up its files to the NAS, using whatever utility is available to the client, and the NAS then snapshots the backup. Once that is done, the end result is similar to TimeMachine: You can go back in time, mount a snapshot to present a complete, read-only, of the back up at the time the snapshot was taken, and then copy old valid files back to the client.

Thank you. Do you mean there is no such utility within TrueNAS or via one of the official plugins? I thought TrueNAS had utility to do it, all I need is to connect it to the Windows PC via an ethernet cable.

By backing up files from a Windows PC to the NAS using whatever utility is available to the PC, any good recommendation?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you mean there is no such utility within TrueNAS or via one of the official plugins? I thought TrueNAS had utility to do it, all I need is to connect it to the Windows PC via an ethernet cable.
TrueNAS provides sharing services and doesn't care what you use with them. You're free to choose.

Etorix

Wizard
One generally wants the client to log into the server, not the server to log into the client and pull up files on its own.
From Linux, rsync would be the obvious solution to push file. I know nothing about Windows. Anyway, as @Ericloewe said, it is a very personal choice.