- how can I recover deleted data, after zfs destroy -r

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowCast

Dabbler
Hi,
what happened is what happens to everyone who does not make backups: I deleted the dataset (from the GUI)

zpool history:
2018-11-17.15: 36: 01 zfs destroy -r WD2TB_Mirror / dataset_Office

naturally all the snapshots inside the dataset were also deleted, after that no changes were made.

- how can I recover deleted data? and do not lose your existing datasets!

pool WD 2TB_Mirror is RAID1-two disks WD 2TB series YELLOW, there are two" same " series GOLD

is it possible (and necessary) to replicate an existing pool to this pair-either for experiments or for the safety of existing data

Arwen

MVP
It is possible to export your pool and import it R/O to an earlier transaction group. However, this is pretty detailed operation. And if you intend to try, Shutdown your NAS NOW. If there are too many new transactions written, then you can't go back in time... And sorry, I don't have the details of how to perform this procedure.

Note that a new OpenZFS feature is coming out called Pool Checkpoints. It is intended to assist with this type of issue. However, it is not currently available for FreeNAS. AND, won't help after the fact. (Pool Checkpoints are intended to be run before dangerous or complex pool or dataset operation. And if bad, roll back the changes like a pool wide snapshot.)

HowCast

Dabbler
-yes, i did only read data from that pool то new pool in another disk.
And i have copy destroyed dataset at month ago, but t it's on USB ntfs, may be it's helped me with something.

Arwen- thanks you

Status
Not open for further replies.