How can I add 2 NTFS HDDs with data to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

artad

Cadet
Hi.

I'm stuck. I have 2 HDDs (1 TB and 500 GB) full of data. The FreeNAS machine only has one HDD (80 GB) with the boot. I'd like to use the 2 HDDs with full of data with the FreeNAS but I don't want to lose data so I don't want to format them. How can I do it? I use Windows, both HDDs have NTFS file system.

So I only have the boot disk and the other 2 NTFS disks with my data.

Is it possible somehow to use those 2 data disks with FreeNAS?

No, I don't have any other HDDs to copy data.

Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No. FreeNAS should have at least a mirrored pair of drives to store the data. Then, copy the data into the FreeNAS storage by way of the network share.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, I don't have any other HDDs to copy data.
What led you to select FreeNAS as your storage system? Because it doesn't sound like it's a good fit at all for what you have available.

artad

Cadet
I'm not really into NAS, and this is the first time that I thought I set up an older machine for sharing files (from the 2 mentioned HDDs) for my home computers.
I know, I could set up Windows 10 and share the HDDs, but I thought FreeNAS would be a simple and good idea.
But if there's an easier way, please share ideas. :)

Thanks! :)

P.S. Chris I must disagree with this: "FreeNAS should have at least a mirrored pair of drives to store the data. " Because yesterday for testing purposes I set up FreeNas with only one HDD (beside the boot HDD) and it worked well, I could use it as a share.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I must disagree with this
...then you should read his statement more closely--he said "should", not "must." Yes, you can create a single-disk pool. No, it isn't generally recommended, as there's no redundancy.

FreeNAS is not the droid you're looking for.

artad

Cadet
I'm a single user and I need it for my home network not for an enterprise, so I don't need mirrored pair neither RAID volumes.
I had one question, I thought here I might get information.

Thank you for "help" and your style for telling me what not to do.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We have, we have helped you by giving you good advice. Advice that is based upon years of experience. If you choose to ignore that good advice, then the consequences be upon you, but you can do what you want to do

Last edited:

Scharbag

Guru
I'm a single user and I need it for my home network not for an enterprise, so I don't need mirrored pair neither RAID volumes.
I had one question, I thought here I might get information.

Thank you for "help" and your style for telling me what not to do.
FreeNAS is meant for a specific use scenario. Pools created with a single disk, or striped across multiple disks without parity, is not recommended due to lack of redundancy. A single disk error, will cause total failure. Far too often, people try what you are suggesting and then come to this forum asking for help when they lose all of their data.

The advice that you are choosing to dismiss is being provided by experienced users. Please do not dismiss this hard won advice when you do not fully understand what you are doing.

As has been said "FreeNAS is not the droid you're looking for."

Cheers,

artad

Cadet
I don't understand why can't I setup a simple file share system in my home without 6 HDDs when I need only one. Ridiculous. And I don't need mirroring and RAID volumes, etcetc. I don't care about data loss, because my important data is kept somewhere else.

"As has been said "FreeNAS is not the droid you're looking for." "

Yup, fortunately I've got rid of it and found a SIMPLE solution.

Thank you for the high-minded and kind answers.

Good bye.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.