Hot Spare Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan Shaw

Cadet
I am currently in the process of setting up my new NAS, and I want to implement a hot spare that automatically rebuilds my RAID array (4x3tb RAID 10) when a disk fails. If I understand correctly, FreeNAS doesn't do this? Apparently you have to manually tell the hot spare to kick in, and the hot spare is constantly spinning, even while not in use. If this is true, is there any way to spin it down until it is needed? The forum threads I read were several years old and I just want to clear up some confusion.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
As far as I know the Spare should kick in automatically. I can try to test this out later if needed; unless someone else already knows 100%. By chance what threads are you referring to? Can you post links to them?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Evan Shaw

Cadet
UPDATE: A spare does spin down even when the pool is accessed if you turn on disk standby per Storage -> View Disks -> Edit -> HDD Standby.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'll point out that hot spares don't really make sense unless you don't have access to your system for long periods of time. If you can replace a drive in a day or 2 you might as well just use it in your system and get the added storage or protection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fta

Contributor
I'll point out that hot spares don't really make sense unless you don't have access to your system for long periods of time. If you can replace a drive in a day or 2 you might as well just use it in your system and get the added storage or protection.

There are other reasons to use spares. For example: you have a pool of mirrors, and you don't have hot swap drives. It's common for drives to fail on power cycle. It's safer to have the replacement already installed so a drive replacement doesn't require a power cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.