Host build for FreeNAS VM

DAN1MAL

Cadet
Looking to build mostly for FreeNAS but will also host a few other VM's also (Win 10, OpenHab)

Not sure yet about disks (Probably 6 x WD RED PRO 6TB and a couple SSD's)

Supermicro X11SPi-TF
Xeon Bronze 3106
4 x 16GB MEM-DR416L-SL01-ER21

Just wondering if this is overkill? I don't mind spending the money (About 2k CAD) but I don't want to spend needlessly. I can get a used R720 (16 disc, 2 x Xeon 2660) with 96GB Ram for around the same price.

Finding hitting the 'buy' button difficult without some more knowledgeable feedback.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:

l@e

Contributor
Make some balance with power and noise for both variants depending on the place you will host the box.
More ram is better for zfs and also if you want to host vms. Multiple cpu power is allways better if you plan to use them in future otherwise will just eat more power.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

DAN1MAL

Cadet
Noise isn't really a big concern, it will be a basement dwelling machine.

Either ESXi or Hyper-V on the host with each VM running individual services. I am familiar and comfortable with Hyper-V but the Win SVR licensing costs are greater on a Dual Xeon machine.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you were in the US, I would suggest this as base hardware:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro...i-F-2x-6-Core-E5-2620-2Ghz-Sleds/192816211745
It is a great system and a couple of modifications would make it ideal. You would take the hardware RAID controller out and replace it with a SAS HBA so the entire controller and all the disks can be passed to the Virtual FreeNAS.
Either ESXi or Hyper-V on the host with each VM running individual services. I am familiar and comfortable with Hyper-V but the Win SVR licensing costs are greater on a Dual Xeon machine.
There are some definite "No No" thing that you need to know if contemplating running FreeNAS in a VM.
Here is a link for further reading:

"Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS!" ... a guide to not completely losing your data.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/

Virtually FreeNAS ... an alternative for those seeking virtualization
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ative-for-those-seeking-virtualization.26095/

ZFS needs the whold disk controller passed directly through to the VM so FreeNAS can have exclusive access to the disks.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

DAN1MAL

Cadet
I had read you need to be careful when running a virtualised instance of FreeNAS but ultimately the conclusion was that if its done properly there isn't really anything to worry about. Ill scan through those links though in case there is new info or I missed something.

When I started looking into about a year and a half ago I had intended to use that exact board but given its still the same price and older chipset I figured that I could find something better for about the same price. In fact the X10SDV-TLN4F is more expensive($1,249 @ Newegg.ca) then the X11SPi-TF/3106 Im looking at by almost $200.00.

l@e

Contributor
If you plan to use virtualization for couple of low performance vm will be ok that single cpu board, but you have to be careful about the bronze cpu. It is a entry level. Either go up to silver line or in case you plan to virtualize more e more and use that for a home lab better build a separate esxi box. Im not fan of mixing fn and esxi on the same hardware since the purpose of each system is different.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When I started looking into about a year and a half ago I had intended to use that exact board but given its still the same price and older chipset I figured that I could find something better for about the same price. In fact the X10SDV-TLN4F is more expensive($1,249 @ Newegg.ca) then the X11SPi-TF/3106 Im looking at by almost $200.00.
It is just down to what you can get at a reasonable price and what purpose you are building for. If it is a home lab for fun or a business where it is critical infrastructure.

DAN1MAL

Cadet
Home use, mostly for holding/hosting media in addition to laptop/phone backups and files; both from within the home and offsite through a VPN. I do Industrial Automation for work and want to play around with home automation, hence openHAB, and maybe do some development. I figured there has to be a way to have my cake and eat it too with a single server solution or am I really asking for too much?

DAN1MAL

Cadet
If you plan to use virtualization for couple of low performance vm will be ok that single cpu board, but you have to be careful about the bronze cpu. It is a entry level. Either go up to silver line or in case you plan to virtualize more e more and use that for a home lab better build a separate esxi box. Im not fan of mixing fn and esxi on the same hardware since the purpose of each system is different.

Guess I can go to a 4110 without too much of a hit.

l@e

Contributor
Home use, mostly for holding/hosting media in addition to laptop/phone backups and files; both from within the home and offsite through a VPN. I do Industrial Automation for work and want to play around with home automation, hence openHAB, and maybe do some development. I figured there has to be a way to have my cake and eat it too with a single server solution or am I really asking for too much?
The first part is what FN excels.
Now going to the second part, those automation platforms are usualy not very hungry in cpu since are designed to work on embeded devices. Not very familiar with industrial automation but im myself in knx systems and i belive that that latency and uptime is the most requested thing for controllers than cpu power. (Correct me if wrong here).
Maybe install the fn in bare metal and run those vms on top of FN. im runing a wind 10 on top of a test FN with E3-1220 from 2 weeks and so far is goiing well.

l@e

Contributor
Guess I can go to a 4110 without too much of a hit.
4110 is way better and the good thing with scalable socket you can go even at gold after couple of years.

DAN1MAL

Cadet
The first part is what FN excels.
Now going to the second part, those automation platforms are usualy not very hungry in cpu since are designed to work on embeded devices. Not very familiar with industrial automation but im myself in knx systems and i belive that that latency and uptime is the most requested thing for controllers than cpu power. (Correct me if wrong here).
Maybe install the fn in bare metal and run those vms on top of FN. im runing a wind 10 on top of a test FN with E3-1220 from 2 weeks and so far is goiing well.

Well KNX is closer to OpenHAB(BAS) then most industrial Automation systems are. Industrial systems have PLCs or controllers that run in the field taking the I/O directly and executing their code accordingly. Typically the only thing on the server tends to be development/licensing services or HMI's (In the case of something like Ignition, factory talk, wonderware). For Home automation the key is uptime and security as if the garage takes a extra 2ms more than normal to open its not a big deal. I'll have to do some research about running VMs on FN for sure.