Horrible performance on new build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a link to tell you about the source of the term. When the folks at Sun started designing ZFS, they applied the term to all rebuild operations for their own reasons that nobody else may ever fully understand.
You forgot the link

The Dell T7500 has four SAS ports built into the system board. Why don't you use those?

The built in SAS is limited to 8GB total and 2GB per disk... Your idea was the first one I had... only to learn the limitations later...

As for the controller/cables... I have access to the 4 port version of this card I believe... I think it had issues with allowing me to run the drives in a non-raid environment... im not positive, will have to compare.

Ive looked into the issues with Marvell... and it looks like the biggest issue is FreeBSD support of them... that there isn't a concise issue, some people get lucky and they work fine... others not so much... I'll order or dig up a card with Intel chipset and see if that resolves the issues...

The help and resources so far are much appreciated...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The built in SAS is limited to 8GB total and 2GB per disk... Your idea was the first one I had... only to learn the limitations later...

As for the controller/cables... I have access to the 4 port version of this card I believe... I think it had issues with allowing me to run the drives in a non-raid environment... im not positive, will have to compare.

I've looked into the issues with Marvell... and it looks like the biggest issue is FreeBSD support of them... that there isn't a concise issue, some people get lucky and they work fine... others not so much... I'll order or dig up a card with Intel chipset and see if that resolves the issues...

The help and resources so far are much appreciated...
I think the most reliable solution is the SAS HBA, but they are not all created equal. If it is not the correct model, it can't be flashed with the IT mode firmware and it will cause problems.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hey guys,
Went from an old Dell T3500 machine which performed really well on my network, to a Dell T7500 (Dual Xeon, ~100GB of ECC RAM) and went from a RAIDZ to a RAIDZ2 setup from 5 5TB drives to 5x5TB and 1x6TB drive (they are all seagate barracudas... I couldn't find a 5TB drive when I was shopping...) and all run off of IO SATA controller cards (onboard is only SATA 2 speeds, the cards offer SATA 3 speeds)... on running read/write tests with dd, I seem to be getting about 1G/sec write speeds, and about 1.3G/s read speeds)... problem is, VMs seems to run REALLY slow and my network copy speeds are hovering around 25MB/s on a fully gigabit lan... (the t3500 would get me around 90MB/s which was fine by me)
What is the clock speed on the T7500?
Are you running FreeNAS on the bare metal or as a virtual machine?

What is the clock speed on the T7500?
Are you running FreeNAS on the bare metal or as a virtual machine?

Sorry, I should close this thread as my other is pretty much the same, but contains more info and processes that we've tried...

That being said: It is bare metal, 3.07GHz (dual processors with 48GB ECC RAM)

Additionally, Ive switched to the H310 in IT mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.