Hopeful new system administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks! I just got an old system running with FreeNAS for my dormitory.

I have no previous system admin experience and so I am concerned with everything that can go wrong.

Are there any guides around here that keep me out of common security pitfalls etc? Right now everyone have read/write permission to what I can only describe as the root of the drive(s). So they can see a bunch of .config/.login/fdsaffdasda files.
One person decides to upload malware we are all screwed :p

Other than that HELLO! Hope to learn much in the time I will have available

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual is pretty well written. As for security pitfalls(and all the other common pitfalls) its really about knowing what you are doing. FreeBSD(and FreeNAS) will let you do things that are completely idiotic if you don' know what you are doing. I'd recommend you create a FreeNAS VM and experiment with it.

I will have a close look at the link in your sig. and wonder if a FreeNAS VM stands for virtual machine ;) .... and how to create that.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
VM = virtual machine.

You'd have to install and setup a program like VirtualBox or Vmware Workstation. It's somewhat beyond the scope of this forum to explain how to install and set up a virtual machine. Questions related to potential issues with using the VM after its setup are typically responded to. Questions like "how do I install FreeNAS in a VM" are often ignored. VMs add a significant level of complexity to a FreeNAS installation. They're great for experimenting but not recommended for production environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.