Homemade NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

panz

Guru
What exactly does this show compatibility for? Shouldn't any UPS that can power your system long enough to be worth its while work? I mean, it's all the same voltages and everything...

You link your UPS with a cable to your NAS (FreeNAS) machine and the NUT (Network UPS Tools) installed on FreeNAS will gracefully shutdown your server in the event of a power failure.

Shroom

Explorer
You link your UPS with a cable to your NAS (FreeNAS) machine and the NUT (Network UPS Tools) installed on FreeNAS will gracefully shutdown your server in the event of a power failure.

Ah, yes. I know my 900VA APC UPS has that cable. It is USB though, and when I select USB on that chart you posted, no results are found to be compatible. Does this mean I cannot use this UPS with FreeNAS?

I have the grey variant of the APC BR 900 Back-UPS

Shroom

Explorer
test it! :)

I don't have my NAS built yet, but I supposed that is what it will come to. Just wondering if USB connections in general were not supported for this as no UPS on that page is listed as being compatible via USB.

panz

Guru
If you filter that list by Manufacturer and by Connection (so, APC + USB) you can find some compatible models.

Shroom

Explorer
If you filter that list by Manufacturer and by Connection (so, APC + USB) you can find some compatible models.

Oh okay, I must have oopsed something when I was using those filters before. Do you know how reliable this list is. I.e. if it's not on this list, is it likely incompatible?

EDIT- Answered my own question. Here's what I found from the site:
If your device isn’t listed
First, if there are other models by the same manufacturer, try their drivers. You may find that it "just works" or mostly works.
In either case, send in a report so this list and the driver can be improved.
Next, if you don’t find any match, there are a few drivers that have a good chance of working on random hardware. These are indicated in the Various entries above.
After doing that, if those aren’t working, you might try running other ones from the set to see if anything works. Sometimes you get lucky. Finally, if absolutely nothing works and your cabling is OK, try contacting the list and we will see what we can do for you.
In general, if a driver does not exist, that’s due to the lack of overlap between the set of developers and the set of owners of that hardware.
The way to fix it is to turn a developer into an owner, or an owner into a developer.

panz

Guru
Mine is an old APC SMART 1000 SU-INET (serial cable) and is listed as "protocol based on reverse engineering" (= RED = almost incompatible).

It works flawlessly ;)

I have tested it A LOT. I'm not running it by FreeNAS directly (this should be the Master) but the UPS is driven by the pfSense box (which has a very basic NUT service, but it works very well). Then, FreeNAS is Slave. Read the documentation for a quick explanation of this terminology.

Shroom

Explorer
Mine is an old APC SMART 1000 SU-INET (serial cable) and is listed as "protocol based on reverse engineering" (= RED = almost incompatible).

It works flawlessly ;)

I have tested it A LOT. I'm not running it by FreeNAS directly (this should be the Master) but the UPS is driven by the pfSense box (which has a very basic NUT service, but it works very well). Then, FreeNAS is Slave. Read the documentation for a quick explanation of this terminology.

Will do, thanks much for the info! If I find my BR900 working I'll certainly update.

Status
Not open for further replies.