Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade25233

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Just read the guides and such & built my first (FreeNAS) NAS! Looks like I have some work to do getting it up and running, but here's where we are before I finish my drive buys:

AsRock C2750D4I (Avoton 8-core)
4x Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 ECC RAM
2x (soon 6x after staggered buys) 6TB WD REDs
SilverStone SX500-LG 500W w/ ActivePFC, 80+ Gold PSU
8GB USB flash boot vol​

...all piled into a Fractal Designs Node 304 (Black), and powered via a brand new CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. Pics later; have to up my cable management game first ;)

Current plan for the setup:
  • 9.3 Stable
  • 2x 1Gbps over Cat 6 (Bonded w/ LACP) to Netgear GS108Tv2
  • MineOS for some fun :)
  • AFP for Time Machine backups
  • CIFS for workstation augmentation & media center storage
  • UPS for... that 12% of the time service to my home != 120V and 60 nice, smooth Hz
  • S.M.A.R.T. because duh why not

Current sticking points:
  • LLDP for net announce currently not working... but this is more of an experiment than a build req
  • DynDNS -> DuckDNS maybe? Found the thread, need to test it out later today...
  • DLNA - is there or isn't there a plugin for this on 9.3? Not seeing it, but it's referenced here and there in the forums.
  • Are there 'unofficial' plugins? The list in the 9.3 vanilla install is kind of short. I would love to help with this if it's a true ongoing effort as I am a professional dev!
Also SO low priority, but I would love to reskin the UI for a modern look. Any recos as to where to start?

Glad to be here; looking forward to engaging w/ everyone who's willing to help me get up to speed - I have plenty to offer :) Thanks!

- blade

Might want to add another USB for a mirrored boot pool. It is what all the cool kids are doing these days. :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
that 12% of the time service to my home != 120V and 60 nice, smooth Hz
12%? And I thought that two straight days of ~1 hour outages at nearly the same time of day was crazy. "Surely that must've been planned", you say. If it was, nobody bothered to inform us...

blade25233

Cadet
Might want to add another USB for a mirrored boot pool. It is what all the cool kids are doing these days. :D

Done! Thanks for the recommendation. I happened to have an identical drive right next to it. Too bad my USB budget is completely utilized now... I need to go dig up a serial cable for the UPS, that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.