Hi from Guatemala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, been around this forums since friday... read a lot, then google some more, and learnt a lot more. So yes, Im going in building my first FreeNAS server.

CPU
After reading the hardware recommendations... (just what every noob needs, so thanks there cyberjock) I stumble upon going Intel Core i3-4360 or Xeon E3-1230 v3, already did a check on the CINT2006 of both, not so much of a difference. And since Im not doing any transcoding, I dont think I need to spend the money on the Xeon (or maybe one transcoding only and only if the wife asks for streaming).

Anyways Im more interesting in AES, and I see both of them support it. I want to encrypt all the data that gets saved into the storage, so this is a must.

This is going into a SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O, in which I wanted to use a Sandisk USB 3.0 with this Mobo, but no luck there.

HDs
Also Ive been reading about the hard drives backblaze recommends... but Ive found around here about the WD red ones... so now Im lost... any help?

So what do yo guys think?

Thanks everybody!!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I want to encrypt all the data that gets saved into the storage, so this is a must.
If so, you will need to triple-check that you know exactly what you're doing whenever you do anything non-trivial with your FreeNAS (disk replacement, system upgrade etc). Best approach is to practice in a VM.
Also Ive been reading about the hard drives backblaze recommends... but Ive found around here about the WD red ones... so now Im lost... any help?
Backblaze' data are interesting and cannot be dismissed, but their environment is quite unusual. A key point is that they use consumer drives, which do not generally (ever?) support TLER. This might be important, depending on how you plan to use FreeNAS. NAS drives such as WD Reds do support TLER.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir, the i3-4360 is a 1150 socket.

The X9 series motherboard is an 1155 socket.

You are the third person this week to make this mistake. What is going on with this...

If so, you will need to triple-check that you know exactly what you're doing whenever you do anything non-trivial with your FreeNAS (disk replacement, system upgrade etc). Best approach is to practice in a VM.

Backblaze' data are interesting and cannot be dismissed, but their environment is quite unusual. A key point is that they use consumer drives, which do not generally (ever?) support TLER. This might be important, depending on how you plan to use FreeNAS. NAS drives such as WD Reds do support TLER.

The system wont be on high I/O 24/7, but on the long run... I guess TLER could save my behind.

Sir, the i3-4360 is a 1150 socket.

The X9 series motherboard is an 1155 socket.

You are the third person this week to make this mistake. What is going on with this...
Thanks for the warning... both CPUs are 1150... Ill double check on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.