Hello from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

BORSTE

Cadet
Hi All, Im very excited about joining this forum!
Ive been using FreeNas for a while but not an IT Natural so have to google / youtube every time I have a problem. This has worked for me until now........

Hope someone can assist me here. I have searched previous threads on the forum and have found users experiencing similar problems but not identical. I did post this on another section of the forum (Storage) just now but not sure if that was the right place?

I get the following system alert:

• CRITICAL: July 24, 2017, 8:14 a.m. - The volume myVOL state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
When I view the volumes: (There should be a total of 4 drives 3TB each, setup as ZFS)
ada0 - online
ada1 - online
ada2 - online
10824739011237558411 - unavailable (This status does not change if the old or new disk is inserted)

When I click on the unavailable drive, it only gives me a replace option. When I select the replace option, it asks for a new member disk but there are no options in the dropdown.

Ive tried booting with only 3 drives and changing the bays to ensure that the drive is the problem and it boots fine. I cannot take any of the 3 active drives offline because I get the error:

MiddlewareError: b'Disk offline failed: "cannot offline gptid/23b76ea6-d025-11e5-a77b-3ca82aa0a80c: no valid replicas, "']

My hardware is:
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8
8 GB Ram
4 x 3 TB HDD
FreeNas 11.0-U2

Im new to FreeNas so a basic explanation on how to solve this would really be appreciated.
If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi All, Im very excited about joining this forum!
Ive been using FreeNas for a while but not an IT Natural so have to google / youtube every time I have a problem. This has worked for me until now........

Hope someone can assist me here. I have searched previous threads on the forum and have found users experiencing similar problems but not identical. I did post this on another section of the forum (Storage) just now but not sure if that was the right place?

I get the following system alert:

• CRITICAL: July 24, 2017, 8:14 a.m. - The volume myVOL state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
When I view the volumes: (There should be a total of 4 drives 3TB each, setup as ZFS)
ada0 - online
ada1 - online
ada2 - online
10824739011237558411 - unavailable (This status does not change if the old or new disk is inserted)

When I click on the unavailable drive, it only gives me a replace option. When I select the replace option, it asks for a new member disk but there are no options in the dropdown.

Ive tried booting with only 3 drives and changing the bays to ensure that the drive is the problem and it boots fine. I cannot take any of the 3 active drives offline because I get the error:

MiddlewareError: b'Disk offline failed: "cannot offline gptid/23b76ea6-d025-11e5-a77b-3ca82aa0a80c: no valid replicas, "']

My hardware is:
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8
8 GB Ram
4 x 3 TB HDD
FreeNas 11.0-U2

Im new to FreeNas so a basic explanation on how to solve this would really be appreciated.
If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds as though one of your 4 hard drives has failed and needs to be replaced.

See the related documentation: 8.1.10. Replacing a Failed Drive

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.