Hi everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberdyne

Cadet
My Name is Jan and I'm from Germany. Please excuse my bad english.

I started my IT career with a C64 and now I have my own Commodore museum (www.c-64.org).

Till now I had one 2-bay and two 4-bay NAS from Synology and I have one QNAP 4-bay NAS as a backup system. Now I want to build my own FreeNAS based NAS in a modded Commodore PET case.
I am sure that I will have some questions and that's why I'm here.

Do you have any questions or do you want to get rid of old Commodore stuff? Please let me know! ;o)

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to the forum Jan. I look forward to seeing your build. It sounds very original and unique!

Cyberdyne

Cadet
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I had this old junk case lying around and always wanted to make a PC mod. I fitted an ATX chassis and a keyboard-trackball combination but the major problem was the 9" CRT. I found a 9" colour VGA CRT but I never tried to swap it. Finaly a got a 9" netbook LCD with controller and I could finaly "finish" the mod. Using an LCD I had enough space to fit a full sized ATX PSU in the monitor housing. My 3D printer helped with the rest. Sadly for daily use as a workstation the screen is much to small but I always wanted to build my own NAS. Maybe the case is not perfect for a NAS as well but I like the idea!
I already got me a SAS HBA and a few different drive cages. I am not sure with the board. I thought I could replace the ATX PSU in the monitor housing with a mini ITX board and put the PSU and the HDD cages in the main body but I would have to find/get a mini ITX board which supports ECC memory. There is no final decision made yet.

I will try to upload some pictures of the project.
IMG-20180408-WA0004.jpg IMG-20180409-WA0001.jpg

EDIT:
I hope someone can help me with this problem:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-backplane-6-port-expander.63253/#post-453157

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.