HGST / WD Firmware Updates

Constantin

Vampire Pig
One of my pet peeves for sure. It started with the old phone texting method using just a standard touchtone phone keypad and now it’s ended w/emojis that future scholars will puzzle over endlessly.

I hold out hope that my kids will be smart enough to live in both worlds, ie understand their peers without losing their ability to communicate intelligently.

New forum request: Tech Reminiscences :smile: (Which sounds better than "Old Farts Club"!)

Adrian

Contributor
New forum request: Tech Reminiscences :smile: (Which sounds better than "Old Farts Club"!)
How about Folklore?
A nod to alt.folklore.computers which looks as if it will run until the old farts die out.
I first programmed a computer in 1969.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
My father brought home the first “computer” circa 1973 or so. It read punch cards to address envelopes. it may also have featured a primitive mail merge feature for the invitations themselves.

By the time we switched to a nixdorf computer in 1981 (German BASIC!), the punchcard computer was promptly picked up by a museum. My cousin spent a summer doing data entry to transfer all the addresses to the new computer.

The printer for the nixdorf spat ink at the pages, giving the type a raised feel. Likely a wax printer? The next iteration were a bunch of toshiba laptops.