Help with SCALE CLI

randr

Cadet
Im having a ton of issues navigating the CLI.
It appears that my issues can not be fixed in the web UI, and I've been looking for at least a primer or idiot level guide for this.
Cant find any modern posts about CLI syntax and commands for scale. All seem to be about freeBSD, and how scale is in beta (these are really old posts).

All the "guides" Ive found for Linux CLI are for other flavors of linux, really old, and have no syntax or conventions, it is assumed I know all this already.
Most of the posts here are not giving any procedures, just "well, check all these things".... yea, I cant even figure out if a driver is loaded (let alone if its compatible).
Spent days trying to get a static address on the built in lan, as all the guides were for freeNas, Core, etc... the web UI is different, and mine is apparently buggy as hell.

Im running scale 22.02.1
I do have a stable and working 1g connection for the WebUI, and a monitor on the NAS. Can talk to it just fine, just dont know what to say!!

I figure its pointless to ask for help on my specific problems, as Im not able to implement the most basic of functions in the UI.
Need resources that are applicable to this version.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
All configurations must be done via the UI or they will not be persistent. Why don't you try to tackle them one by one with the help of the forum?

What is going wrong when you try to set a static IP address?

As for the command line: it's Debian 11, plain and simple :wink:

danb35

Hall of Famer
As for the command line: it's Debian 11, plain and simple :wink:
SCALE has its own CLI, in addition to the Debian shell. I don't know if that's what OP is referring to, but it's there.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, that's pretty unclear at the moment. @randr, it would be helpful if you could be more specific.

As a note, there's going to be significant/full overlap between the GUI and the TrueNAS CLI, so the CLI is not going to magically solve anything, most likely. Of course, as Patrick said, don't confuse this with the system console, which is most often not what you want or need to use.

randr

Cadet
well specifically its the TrueNas Scale command line i'm asking about, as far as my request for a primer.

randr

Cadet
As far as the overlap of Core and Scale: watching a video, or reading a post that presents commands that are depreciated, or menus that have changed.... well I guess Im finding all the things that dont overlap.
I think this was probably a mistake.

HarryMuscle

Contributor
well specifically its the TrueNas Scale command line i'm asking about, as far as my request for a primer.
What you're asking for doesn't exist. However, as already mentioned almost everything you do in the command line directly will not persist and will be undone by a reboot. Having said that, you can access the TrueNAS API using the midctl tool and that will allow you to do a few more things than what the GUI allows and those changes will persist. There is no API primer but you can access the API documentation online and via the GUI (can't remember exactly where off the top of my head). However, chances are you'll still need assistance with the API since it's a bit daunting to use at first. That's probably why you have multiple requests for more information on what exactly you are trying to do so that specific advice can be provided.

Thanks,
Harry

danb35

Hall of Famer
However, as already mentioned almost everything you do in the command line directly will not persist and will be undone by a reboot.
Nonsense. The SCALE CLI is just as persistent as the GUI. The Linux shell is not, at least not necessarily (things like changes to your pool are most definitely persistent). There are two different CLIs available on SCALE, and OP has yet to clarify which one he's talking about (or what he wants to do with them, or why he thinks he needs to use either of them).

randr

Cadet
Well, danb35, trying to input an IP address is what I was trying to do in the UI. Just would not type. Like no keyboard. Or... claim another piece of hardware was using that address.
I stumbled through the SCALE CLI and only bricked it a couple of times till I got all the addresses straight. Was an apparent issue with a rouge nic firmware. The nics worked fine in Windows Server, even a Mac workstation, everything. But not till I re-flashed it did it cooperate in SCALE.
Probably got some windows on it and it decided it needed to cause problems.
Not that I could figure out how to monitor packets or anything, just trial and error and a lot of time wasted on chasing gremlins.
Yup, just like every forum. Lots of opinions, wild claims, not really any documentation.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yup, just like every forum. Lots of opinions, wild claims, not really any documentation.
Yep, just like every forum. Someone asks a poorly-defined question, refuses to clarify, then blames the forum membership when they don't get the help they wanted there. *plonk*

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Well, danb35, trying to input an IP address is what I was trying to do in the UI. Just would not type. Like no keyboard.
The UI is a web UI. What do you mean by "like no keyboard"? This does not make sense. If you want any help please post screen shots of what you are trying to do.