Help with "memory error" issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Not a NAS issue!

My desktop just started having an issue where it would just suddenly shut down. I noticed that the shut down was occurring when lots of programs were open (using a lot of memory) so on a hunch I ran Memtest86+ and found a memory error.

I tested each memory dim (4 dims of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5) individually and every time I got my "error" at the exact same address location. That seemed odd that 4 sticks of ram would fail at the exact same address, so I pulled all the memory and tried it in my wife's desktop. None failed.

Next I tried all of the ram from my wife's desktop (uses identical Corsair ram) in my desktop. Again, failure at the same memory address.

Finally I pulled my wife's CPU and stuck it in my desktop to rule out any CPU error. Still failed. Same address.

This seems to point to a motherboard issue, but I'd appreciate a second opinion before I go tossing parts. My motherboard is an Asus P5k Premium (uses an Intel P35 chip). It's ~5 years old so it certainly could be on its way out.

Thanks,
Chris

Yatti420

Wizard
I neger got p5kc working well.. too many issues at the time.. I would upgrade

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It most definitely looks like a bad motherboard, but it seems like a really weird thing to happen, if it only fails at a certain address.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Could the memory controller be "bad" and having an issue being able to address itself?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, sounds like a motherboard. Ironically, the only motherboard I've ever had to RMA for memory-related problems was a P5K Premium!

CLSegraves

Explorer
Yeah, sounds like a motherboard. Ironically, the only motherboard I've ever had to RMA for memory-related problems was a P5K Premium!

HAHAHAHA!!! Go figure.

My wife's P5K-E Wifi is quite a bit older than my P5K Premium and it works flawlessly. This leaves me with a difficult decision. Do I try to find a used 775 board (to keep my CPU and memory) and take the risks associated with an "old" board, or do I dump all the 775 stuff and upgrade? If I upgrade, what do I upgrade to?

solarisguy

Guru
If the OS understands modern chipsets, go for a new motherboard. At least you might get some warranty.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1155, 1150, and 2011 are all good sockets. 2011 comes at a premium though because it's your mid-high end server stuff and supports >32GB of RAM. 1150 is the latest gen that does 32GB of RAM max and is what I would recommend you use.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1155 is the old socket. Haswell (and Broadwell if we ever see socketed versions of it) use LGA 1150. Just find a motherboard that supports the socket and has the features you want (from a reputable brand) and there shouldn't be a problem. These will Have 8-series or 9-series chipsets:
Z87/Z97 allow for overclocking
H87/H97 don't
There are a few others that remove some features, but it should be easy finding a Z87 board at a good price. Then just buy whichever Haswell processor you like. If your needs are basic, there's the 50 buck (or even less) G1820.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
None of the consumer-grade chipsets will allow for ECC, so I wouldn't go with the 87s or 97s...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
None of the consumer-grade chipsets will allow for ECC, so I wouldn't go with the 87s or 97s...

It's for general desktop use,so no ECC is fine

CLSegraves

Explorer
Is there any advantage to using ECC in a desktop? I've ordered ECC for my NAS (should be here mid week).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there any advantage to using ECC in a desktop? I've ordered ECC for my NAS (should be here mid week).

The same advantages you get in a server, but unless you depend on absolute certainty of the quality of any data you obtain (something like graphical design, video editing, CAD, scientific calculations, etc.), it's not nearly as useful in a desktop as it is in a server.

The main disadvantage is that going with ECC limits your component selection, since the vast majority of consumer stuff doesn't support ECC. This isn't a problem for your typical FreeNAS server because it's precisely server hardware that consistently supports ECC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

solarisguy

Guru
Written on a desktop with ECC RAM

I am not trying in any way to scare you into ECC. However, since you are familiar with the ECC RAM concept, I was trying to point out that ECC RAM has advantages beyond ZFS:
  • With ECC memory there are less mystery crashes due to memory problems.
  • Windows 7 reports on ECC corrections (Event Viewer), so you can replace RAM modules before system starts crashing. It was not that useful to have ECC on Windows XP. (See also this.)
  • There is no need for a hunch :D
On a topic of chipsets. We have no clue what you are doing on your desktops. Video editing of your home movies? 3D CAD modelling for do-it-yourself projects? Games? What software? How do you use your desktop? Etc. Silent PC ? One that fits into a good looking case? RAID-1 of the system disk? At least we all agree to avoid Realtek network...

I tend to buy hardware, that satisfies my minimum requirements, at the local computer retailers, as that offers me the fastest replacement path. Consequently, very often my part selection is radically simplified. Thus I very well understand that it might be impossible to buy what one wants/desires/dreams about...

Status
Not open for further replies.