Help Request - TrueNAS Reboots More Than It Should

voyager529

Dabbler
Hello everyone!

One of these days, I'll stop messing around with my TrueNAS build. Today is not that day. After my last attempt at upgrades, my TrueNAS seems very unstable, and I'm not quite sure where to look.

Let's start with some Current Specs:
--TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1
--Ryzen 5 2600
--MSI Tomahawk B450 Mobo
--24GB DDR4 RAM (Non-ECC; ECC RAM is coming by the end of the month...)
--Corsair 750W PSU
--Intel PCIe NIC (To replace the Realtek chipset with known BSD issues)
--...some random ancient GPU enough to show a CLI because the CPU doesn't do graphics
--2xSyba PCIe x1 HBAs
--Dell SAS controller (forget which; it's in HBA mode though)
--pool1: 4x3TB Toshiba X300 + 1 HGST disk (replaced failed)
--pool2: 4x3TB WD Black + 1 HGST disk (replaced failed)
--pool3: 3x4TB HGST SAS disks

Here's the saga...
I had a failed disk in pool1. "no problem; I'll replace it!" Got the HGST disk, but I figured I'd try to do a few more upgrades while I was there. I got two more of the HGST disks with the attempt to do a simple mirror array; not much, but enough to take the edge off a pool2 that's 80% full. Well, I'm out of PCIe slots. I found an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F mobo at Microcenter, most notably it had more PCIe slots than my current one, so I could add an additional HBA or two.
So, over the weekend, I tried putting that board in. I nearly had a heart attack when pool1 wasn't visible; turns out that TrueNAS doesn't seem to read the SATA ports on that board when it's in AHCI mode - maybe it would have in RAID...but I thought that was a bad idea and could mess up my pool even if I didn't create an array? I didn't try. I'm half thinking of getting a few more of those super stable Dell controllers, but I'd be more-or-less back to square one since I'd be using a PCIe slot to replace the onboard SATA ports.
So, I put the old board back in, replaced the failed drive in pool1 and let it rebuild, and everything is copasetic...except that now the unit has rebooted on its own, twice in as many days. I expect that sort of behavior from Windows :smile:. On a slightly ironic note, this thing seems to hang on a reboot command that I issue - if I try to shut it down manually, it hangs after all the disks are synced...but it doesn't actually shut down or restart unless I hold the button.

I'm happy to provide logs if desired, I just don't know which logs to provide. Thanks in advance for the help.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Too many changes at once. It's impossible to tell where the fault might be. In enterprise scenarios, there's strict change baselines, both hardware and software, so that if something goes south, we know where to roll back to regain stability.

Are you sure you reconnected everything to your old board as before?

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
tooooo many eggs in the same that basket
1 (one) change off time
wait
verify
wait again
go to cup of cofee (or what you want)
wait again
think
go to sleep (in midlle of night revelation must come)
reevaluate what you DO
repeat :wink:

voyager529

Dabbler
Hello friends!

I shall rephrase a bit, since I don't think there were as many changes as it initially sounds like.

Initial change: mobo replacement. TN didn't like onboard SATA ports.
Put everything back exactly the way it was.
Replaced failed disk. Left extra two desks in the tower, disconnected.
TN likes rebooting on its own.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
be more careful with your data/hdd/backup anything becouse NOBODY care of that
IF you write on that forum with your misstake you do, can not to help to recover YOUR data
be careful
cheers

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Even if you put everything back as before, you handled the motherboard, and it could've sustained static damage, or bumped connectors and cables. You should blow everything out with canned air to prevent lint shorts.

voyager529

Dabbler
hello
be more careful with your data/hdd/backup anything becouse NOBODY care of that
IF you write on that forum with your misstake you do, can not to help to recover YOUR data
be careful
cheers
You're right, Dan. Before I do anything else, my plan is to run a delta rsync to my QNAP/Syn appliances; my last one is about a month old and contains all the irreplaceable data, so it would have been more of a PITA to rebuild than an impossibility...but nobody needs a PITA event.
That being said, I know I don't post too often, but I've been around these forums since 2011; I've most definitely had my talking-to about being on my own if I mess up my data.

@Samuel Tai , I'll give it a nice round with the air can tomorrow night. It's been stable since this afternoon, so that's...an improvement. I'll take the win where I can get it =).