Help find right photo app for scale.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Other available photo gallery apps (all available through TrueCharts) that you haven't said you've checked out, in no particular order:
  • Lychee
  • Pixapop
  • Darktable
  • Librephotos
  • Photoshow
  • immich
  • Photoview
That's nice, thanks. Guess I'll use SCALE for a quick and easy test drive and once I picked one, do a proper install on CORE. :smile:

kiriak

Contributor
That's nice, thanks. Guess I'll use SCALE for a quick and easy test drive and once I picked one, do a proper install on CORE. :smile:

will you do it in a VM?

you can also look at these 2 that run on Linux

the very simple and fast PiGallery2 (the one I use as a photo gallery on Docker on OMV)
https://bpatrik.github.io/pigallery2/

the Picapport with impressive features (I think it is from your country)
https://www.picapport.de/en/index.php
I haven't tried this one because I think the installation process is a bit too much for my limited klnowledge

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
will you do it in a VM?
Anything that is mainly PHP or similar I will try to set up in a jail. If it's the "here's your docker image" distribution method I might reconsider running it on SCALE but then I have to mount the dataset with the photos from CORE to that app somehow.

Photoprism should be easy to set up if one does not insist to require face recognition. I certainly don't. I'm looking for an app that simulates "manually sort slides in boxes per event" as much as possible. I so miss the original iPhoto. Apple's new Fotos just sucks.

EDIT: looks like Picapport needs just a JVM to run. Easy peasy - should work splendidly in a jail.

Last edited:

canosgmk

Dabbler
small update:

nextcloud photos is "compressing" the photos, but it turns out it is just not saving the "live" part of the iphone. Just the still image of it. mp to mp they are the same size.

I did download photoprism and showed it to my wife. she likes that platform better, which has other issues. I can not seem to get photoprism to allow a 1.09GB video to upload. Also downloaded photosync and tried it that way (didn't buy it yet). Gives me code 413 errors. Then i went back to nextcloud and ya, i can't upload that 1GB file there either. it is "too large".

going to work on finding out where this limitation is. Sounds like it may be in the server side and not the apps side at this point.

i only have 22 TB of free space. lol

Daisuke

Contributor
and according to the page linked, that version has a limit of 150 MP.
I did not know. That explains why they have a directory called originals, they are probably converting a raw image into a lower quality format. They have an import directory where I pushed all my photos from Google Photos, and saw some files marked with _original. So I guess that’s how they downgrade your images? Either ways, your original images are not lost.

I will try to take a raw format picture with my iPhone and see what Photoprism does exactly.

BTW, we are in Scale forum, I noticed some users mention Core. ☺️

jarvis_

Cadet
small update:

nextcloud photos is "compressing" the photos, but it turns out it is just not saving the "live" part of the iphone. Just the still image of it. mp to mp they are the same size.

I did download photoprism and showed it to my wife. she likes that platform better, which has other issues. I can not seem to get photoprism to allow a 1.09GB video to upload. Also downloaded photosync and tried it that way (didn't buy it yet). Gives me code 413 errors. Then i went back to nextcloud and ya, i can't upload that 1GB file there either. it is "too large".

going to work on finding out where this limitation is. Sounds like it may be in the server side and not the apps side at this point.

i only have 22 TB of free space. lol
Hey @canosgmk,

did find you now find any solution or any software which fulfills all of your needs?
I also need an App on TrueNAS Scale with the same needs as yours.

Thanks in advance.

canosgmk

Dabbler
Hey @canosgmk,

did find you now find any solution or any software which fulfills all of your needs?
I also need an App on TrueNAS Scale with the same needs as yours.

Thanks in advance.
At the end, I did the photoprism. Turns out, if you try to upload photos through a html (website, vpn, photosync), you may/will be limited to the size of the file(s).

however if you upload via ip on your network, there is no issue if you put the environmental settings to photoprism_orginals_limit -1. Or “photoprism_orginals_limit 100000”. You can link your photosync to photoprism via IP, http or both.

right now, I’m dead in the water and lost 900 videos due to the migrating of the new truenas scale to bluefin. Photoprism doesn’t work well with the migration. Additional, you can’t “update” through the new truenas scale os changes.

this was a hard lesson for me and does make me think twice in using this platform now. I love the gui version, but every time I have to update truenas scale to a new version (v11 to v12), I have to jump through hoops to get stuff to work and at the end, have a dead server (all apps, nextcloud, jellyfin and photoprism) are dead and unable to reinstal. This may not work for a causal home use. More for the hobbiest. Imo.

Apollo

Wizard
Just wanted to chime in to give some personal experience with Nextcloud.
I am running Nextcloud in a iocage jail and also running originally in FreeNAS, now TrueNAS CORE.
I have an Android phone and I use the Nextcloud App.
I have configured the Nextcloud App to upload automatically to the server the pictures and videos I take with the phone.
I do the same with the Download folder which is used while browsing the net.
I use Whatsapp, but stay away from Google Drive and Google Photo.
I have other Apps that connect to the server for automatic uploads.

When Nextcloud App uploads the phone pictures and video, the content of the Download folder and whatever folder it is asked to monitor, the files will be uploaded to the server without compression and filenames will remain exactly the same.
I also use the option under the Nextcloud App to create subfolder with dates. So things can be very tidy.

What I have noticed is that files shared with Google Photo and Whatsapp will be resized causing loss of details. You have to blame Google for that, especially if you are not using the paid service. I don't know the details for users buying a phone with unlimited Google Photo as part of the deal.

When my phone is sending videos and pictures away from home, it is possible connection quality could cause the transfer to fail, however I can resume the transfer manually and for that I make sure the file is sent from scratch, just to prevent possible file damage.

Some of the larger videos taken by the phone exceed 3GB in size.

If I am traveling and I carry my DSLR, then I must carry with me my laptop so I can transfer the content of the DSLR memory card to the laptop in the folder location the Nextcloud program handle the file. They get uploaded automatically whenever I have access to Wifi or LAN. Same behavior as the phone, the files are transferred as is without being modified in any way.

I have been using Nextcloud (owncloud back then, prior to the fork) for over 8 years now. No complaints whatsoever when it comes to trusting my data.

In regard to above mentioned "original" vs "some other folder name", my understanding is that some phones do a lot of processing in the background and can store the data under multiple files/folders. If we take HDR, the phone will take multiple shots at different light levels and combine them. You may end up with an HDR folder and a JPEG folder.

If the phone is allowed to upload the files to Google Photo, it is possible the App on the phone is resampling the original file and only upload the data Google Photo expect to see to fit its Free Account maximum requirement.