Help Extracting files between pools

pizzleboy

Cadet
Hey all - Total Linux noob here. I spent an hour or so search for a a solution to this, but anything I found was above my head. Hoping someone can take pity on me here.

My old media server kicked the bucket so I decided to give TrueNAS a try on my rebuild. So far, the learning curve has been high, but rewarding.

Here is my problem: I am trying to extract huge ZIP files between pools, and the only way I know how is to use Windows shares to extract between them. This is brutally slow - like 9-10 hours per file.

I have 2 pools created. Storage (14TB) which is made up of 5x 4TB drives and TEMP (2.5 TB) which is made up of 7x 500GB drives.

I am downloading 500 GB chunks from Backblaze (18 more to go!) after my last server kicked the bucket to the TEMP pool. I would like to extract the files using SHELL commands to the STORAGE pool.

I literally don't even know where to start, I'm afraid. I read something about installing 7zip into a jail, but then it went over my head.

Thanks in advance.

Arwen

MVP
Well, it's best to give us the exact type of ZIP archive. For example my Linux desktop has both ZIP & BZIP2.

For example, unzip supports this method:
unzip -d /mnt/STORAGE /mnt/TEMP/xxx.ZIPPY
Replace xxx.ZIPPY with the 500GB chunk ZIP file, IF YOUR USING ZIP.

The other, BZIP2, does not seem to have that option, but this might work;
cd /mnt/STORAGE bunzip2 /mnt/TEMP/xxx.ZIPPY

I don't know off hand if either or both ZIP / BZIP2 are supported by TrueNAS.

Their are lots of refinements. ZFS allows you to have multiple datasets, with different attributes, like compression. But, a lot of that depends on the source directory structure. So you may want to re-organize your data afterwards.

pizzleboy

Cadet
Thank you.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Might also be vaguely interesting to know if we're talking about TrueNAS Core, with FreeBSD's extremely competent libarchive-based extraction available within tar. Makes for handy extraction from ISO, ZIP, etc.