help expanding my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddoc

Cadet
Hi! I'm a total newbie to FreeNAS. I've created a volume called Yersinia... I created several dataset inside Yersinia.

Yersinia is inside a 10tb disk

I bought another 10tb disk... I'd like to have redundancy to secure my data.

1.How can I set the new disk to mirror the old one?

2. How can I distinguish which drive (ada1,ada2?) currently store my data?

3. In the future will I be able to add more drive to expand my volume? (and still have redundancy)

Thanks for your understanding and help! I'm much better at human biology than configuring FreeNAS!

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
How can I set the new disk to mirror the old one?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/create-zfs-mirror-by-adding-a-drive.14880/#post-81348 (or https://dawning.ca/2017/freenas-11-add-a-drive-to-create-a-mirrored-zfs-volume/)
How can I distinguish which drive (ada1,ada2?) currently store my datas?
It will be the only disk that's part of your pool. The Volume Status page in the web GUI will show you.
In the future will I be able to add more drive to expand my volume? (and still have redundancy)
Sure--add a pair of disks at a time.

maddoc

Cadet
Thanks a lot! I hope I may ask just another question... how can I move my dataset to another volume (just to backup in case something goes wrong)?
I've found this link but do not know exactly the syntax I should use.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/copy-move-a-dataset-to-a-different-volume.30840/
I've two volumes
tetanus 2x1tb
yersinia 1x10 tb (1x10 tb installed but not configured yet)

I would like to move several datasets (located in yersinia) to tetanus (temporarily)
Then try your procedure to add a second 10tb drive as mirror of yersinia and move datas back from tetanus (that will become a simple timemachine dataset)

I'd like to check for s.m.a.r.t. errors also on tetanus (I fear one of the two 1tb drives is failing). How can I do that?

Thanks again!

danb35

Hall of Famer
how can I move my dataset to another volume (just to backup in case something goes wrong)?
There are a lot of ways, but my preference would be ZFS replication. It's been a few years since I did it myself, but I think this was the post I followed. If you don't want to overwrite tetanus, create a dataset there for the migration (perhaps tetanus/backup), and use that. The replication command would then look like zfs send -Rv yersinia@migration_base | zfs receive -Fdu tetanus/backup.

Once you've added the second disk as the mirror, if everything worked fine (as it should), you can simply destroy the tetanus/backup dataset. If there was a problem, you could follow the same instructions in reverse (i.e., create the snapshot of tetanus/backup, then send it to yersinia).
I'd like to check for s.m.a.r.t. errors also on tetanus (I fear one of the two 1tb drives is failing). How can I do that?
If the SMART service is running, the system will warn you of any SMART errors on the disks. Or you can get the complete SMART status from the command line by doing smartctl -x /dev/ada1 (replacing ada1 with whatever the disk's identifier is).

Status
Not open for further replies.