SOLVED Help configuring ACL's ?

AlcSi

Dabbler
Hey all,
So on a dataset shared as SMB to Windows users, I have a strange behaviour where every user editing any file will overwrite the owner of the file and wipe the 'rwx' from the permissions, as in the following example :

-rwxrwx---+ 1 root wheel 165 Nov 23 17:40 Somefile.xlsx

becomes

----rwx---+ 1 editing_user wheel 165 Nov 23 17:41 Somefile.xlsx

When edited by just any user that has rights on this folder/file.
(So, the ownership was taken over by the editing user, and, again, the user's permissions were wiped).
The 'editinguser' is allowed to edit the file through ACL's, which are set in "Group" mode in the GUI, with the "Basic -> Modify" rights.
'umask' is standard 22.
EDIT: Forgot to mention ACL Mode is "restricted" in "Pools", "Edit Options", "Advanced Mode", but using "Passthrough" gave the same results.

I'm at a total loss, I really don't know enough to know what would create such results.
It just makes no sense to me that id would wipe the owners rights...

Last edited:

AlcSi

Dabbler
Is there any chance that this was a bug ?

It seems to be solved after setting smb.conf option 'inherit owner = yes" (via GUI).
I also tested various other smb.conf options like 'inherit permissions', and 'create mask', but I ended up removing them all.

Now permissions are completely unaffected when saving files.

I'm clueless. But maybe I really am, and this all makes sense to people knowing smb well :)

AlcSi

Dabbler
Last edit hopefully :
After removing all options it did work for some time but finally the issues came back. I'm guessing somehow the options I removed took some time to be applied (/removed) ?

So, in the end, I think I solved the issue with smb.conf option : 'inherit owner = true'.
It strips some info about who edited the file, but the original issue was much more impairing, so it's a win.