Help an idiot setup FreeNAS (wizard stuff) for Windows and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidiaguy07

Cadet
Finally got around to building my FreeNAS server using an old PC. I just went through the wizard and may or may not have set everything up correctly.

I have 3 4TB hard drives, and I'm pretty sure I selected whatever freenas recommends for media (since it's mostly media). I think this is raid 5?

Now the main reason I wanted to set up freenas was to have a file server for both windows and linux, since I end up using linux more and more. I also want this to be my plex server.

I regularly back up all really important stuff on other media, so having more redundancy isnt that important. But some is better than none (what I currently have), so I think raid 5 or whatever it picks for me is good.

What options should I choose to set up a file server for mostly windows, but sometimes linux? I have zero experience with freenas, so im completely clueless when it comes to this.

Let me know what you guys think and if here is any other info I should post.

EDIT:
Here is my system:

Pentium G3258
MSI H81M-E34
8GB of RAM (non-ecc)
3 5TB Hard Drives (TOSHIBA X300 HDWE150XZSTA - OP was a typo)
Running FreeNAS 9.10 (newest version - downloaded beginning of April)

Last edited:

gpsguy

Please provide the version of FreeNAS that you are using in addition to detailed hardware specs, per the forum rules at the top of the page.

Reading your message, I am concerned that you might have watched an OLD YouTube video and might be using a machine that shouldn't be used with current versions of FreeNAS.

nvidiaguy07

Cadet
Please provide the version of FreeNAS that you are using in addition to detailed hardware specs, per the forum rules at the top of the page.

Reading your message, I am concerned that you might have watched an OLD YouTube video and might be using a machine that shouldn't be used with current versions of FreeNAS.
Here is my system:

Pentium G3258
MSI H81M-E34
8GB of RAM (non-ecc)
3 5TB Hard Drives (TOSHIBA X300 HDWE150XZSTA - OP was a typo)
Running FreeNAS 9.10 (newest version - downloaded beginning of April)

Yes I know I should be using ECC ram, but maybe somewhere down the line when I build a dedicated system I will, but this is fine for now. Like I said right now everything thats going on the server is just on a single drive.

nvidiaguy07

Cadet
bump. Im looking for just a basic setup to get me started. I have been playing around with it for the last few days, and have it setup in windows right now, but no idea if I did it right, and I dont wanna load all my data in just to have to do it all over again if I did it wrong.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Since you have 3 Disks, RaidZ1 (Raid 5) is going to be pretty much your only choice for redundancy and the best given that a striped Raid0 array will eventually mess up your day. If you were able to install FreeNAS on your own, I'm sure the wizard was properly used. Now, as for shares, I would create a volume with your 3 drives, then create 2 datasets in that volume (Tons of documentation there) named 'Windows-Share', 'Linux-Share', 'Plex', etc. After that there's great documentation on setting up the shares, I would use NFS for your Linux machines and maybe an SMB share for Windows. Those will probably end up being the easiest for you to set-up following instruction.

There are several ways to make one shared directory, it gets a little more complex when you want it usable with Windows and Linux simultaneously. You're definitely on the right path though, and just read before you click all over the place because FreeNAS will let you do just about anything to mess yourself up for the future if you don't research properly.

nvidiaguy07

Cadet
Since you have 3 Disks, RaidZ1 (Raid 5) is going to be pretty much your only choice for redundancy and the best given that a striped Raid0 array will eventually mess up your day. If you were able to install FreeNAS on your own, I'm sure the wizard was properly used. Now, as for shares, I would create a volume with your 3 drives, then create 2 datasets in that volume (Tons of documentation there) named 'Windows-Share', 'Linux-Share', 'Plex', etc. After that there's great documentation on setting up the shares, I would use NFS for your Linux machines and maybe an SMB share for Windows. Those will probably end up being the easiest for you to set-up following instruction.

There are several ways to make one shared directory, it gets a little more complex when you want it usable with Windows and Linux simultaneously. You're definitely on the right path though, and just read before you click all over the place because FreeNAS will let you do just about anything to mess yourself up for the future if you don't research properly.

I could buy one more if it makes it easier / much more redundant. These are the ones I bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149628

I bought 3 because its mostly stuff that is replaceable, and from reading around found out that 1 of the three disks could fail and my data would still be safe (is this true?). All I would have to do is replace the one broken disk, and let it re-populate, and then Id be back online. (I've used a 5TB external Hard drive for the past 5-10 years, and it hasnt failed - so this is definitely a big upgrade)

I was concerned that when going through the wizard, I should have set up users or groups or something, so I was hoping there was a walkthrough for a really basic setup somewhere.

Where do I look up what datasets vs volumes etc, because im confused as to what the difference is. I was just hoping to make 1 network drive that is accessible by both linux and windows.

Maybe I should just set everything up for windows first before messing around with linux sharing. Is there a guide that walk through the most basic setup for a freenas server for a windows system. (probably the most common set up for the average person going from an external hard drive to a server).

Thanks!

Vito Reiter

I could buy one more if it makes it easier / much more redundant. These are the ones I bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149628

I bought 3 because its mostly stuff that is replaceable, and from reading around found out that 1 of the three disks could fail and my data would still be safe (is this true?). All I would have to do is replace the one broken disk, and let it re-populate, and then Id be back online. (I've used a 5TB external Hard drive for the past 5-10 years, and it hasnt failed - so this is definitely a big upgrade)

I was concerned that when going through the wizard, I should have set up users or groups or something, so I was hoping there was a walkthrough for a really basic setup somewhere.

Where do I look up what datasets vs volumes etc, because im confused as to what the difference is. I was just hoping to make 1 network drive that is accessible by both linux and windows.

Maybe I should just set everything up for windows first before messing around with linux sharing. Is there a guide that walk through the most basic setup for a freenas server for a windows system. (probably the most common set up for the average person going from an external hard drive to a server).

Thanks!

Here's sharing documentation on FreeNAS: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html
You can lose one drive, yes, but while replacing the drive, the others go through a lot of stress and can fail too, destroying your pool. If you have 5 disks a RaidZ2 will allow you to lose 2 disks opposed to one. Also, the pool will run while the drive is repopulating as well, possibly slower, but will run.

nvidiaguy07

Cadet
Here's sharing documentation on FreeNAS: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html
You can lose one drive, yes, but while replacing the drive, the others go through a lot of stress and can fail too, destroying your pool. If you have 5 disks a RaidZ2 will allow you to lose 2 disks opposed to one. Also, the pool will run while the drive is repopulating as well, possibly slower, but will run.

Hmmm, thinking about ordering two more now. On the other hand, what are the actual chances of a drive failing? and then the chances of one of the others failing while replacing the drive?

Like I said everything on the drive is pretty replaceable, just inconvenient to have to re-rip etc. Is it worth it to spend another $300? (when im not even using ECC ram since I already decided the data isnt crazy important).

If the chances of a drive failing are 1%, and when replacing, another 1%, im looking at a 1 in 10,000 chance of data loss. Yes I know i could be underestimating that number, but even if it were 1 in 100 I would still take that chance.

So, at least for my first freenas server, without ecc ram, maybe it wont be perfect, but next time, ill get another 2 5TB hard drives, a better processor, ecc ram, etc. This kinda just started as a project since I was upgrading my PC, and had always wanted to build a server and had parts that would be OK for a server.

Vito Reiter

Hmmm, thinking about ordering two more now. On the other hand, what are the actual chances of a drive failing? and then the chances of one of the others failing while replacing the drive?

Like I said everything on the drive is pretty replaceable, just inconvenient to have to re-rip etc. Is it worth it to spend another $300? (when im not even using ECC ram since I already decided the data isnt crazy important).

If the chances of a drive failing are 1%, and when replacing, another 1%, im looking at a 1 in 10,000 chance of data loss. Yes I know i could be underestimating that number, but even if it were 1 in 100 I would still take that chance.

So, at least for my first freenas server, without ecc ram, maybe it wont be perfect, but next time, ill get another 2 5TB hard drives, a better processor, ecc ram, etc. This kinda just started as a project since I was upgrading my PC, and had always wanted to build a server and had parts that would be OK for a server.

Sounds like a basic RaidZ1 is for you then, The chances of two drives failing at once are slim, however, the recovery of a drive puts a lot of strain on the other drives (Why RaidZ2 & 3 exists). It's all variable obviously because some people here have extremely sensitive data and some are like you and can afford to lose everything with a minimal headache. Anyway, if nothing is IMPORTANT then RaidZ1 is fine and far better than a striped array.

Status
Not open for further replies.