Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

Cadet
Thanks for adding me to your forum!

I'm a home user of Linux, I have a website I do testing for here at home. I've been using Linux since Redhat 2.0.

I have a small network here at home consisting of on Lenovo TS130 Thinkserver, Xeon quad core, 16GB ram and several Windows 10 PCs, one being used as a media server.

I was looking for a better backup solution than using USB drives.

I'm currently running FreeNAS as a VirtualBox guest, set up per the directions in the online documentation.

I'm looking at buying a barebones TS140, adding 16 GB, 4-4TB Western Digital Red Drives. Thought I'd take FreeNAS on a test drive.

I doubt I'll get a chance to know its full potential since its running as a VM and I only allowed 2GB for the storage.

I hope I can resize that disk. If not, maybe I can deleted it and add another and increase it. My 500GB drive on my server is getting full.

Again, thanks for the add!

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeNAS loves to eat RAM, and prefers running on hardware. The TS140 is a good choice to get started, as it has support for ECC RAM, usually comes with either an i3 or Xeon processor and from what I understand, work well running FreeNAS.

VirtualBox is a great testing platform, but I wouldn't go any further than that, because one day your VM might decide to move south, taking the data with it.

Welcome to the forums! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.