Hello TrueNAS users

dgzambrx99

Cadet
I managed the IT at my workplace and migrated from a commercial scale out appliance unit to Scale with the hopes of being able to scale out in the near future with an identical unit and be a 2 node HCI. We are a full MS house and ACL compatibility was the most important aspect and to my surprise I was able to get scale full up and running in a few hours. Scale is now a being used as a NAS workload in a production environment along with an MS HCI. Due to the fact that these particular units are old and use spinning they are out on a lower tier to the SSD equipped HCIs.

I'm a long time unraid user at home and I'm happy with it but from what I can tell I might get better performance from ZFS? Migration sounds like a long trek. What I am looking at now is how TrueNAS will handle multiple passthru to Windows 10/11 VMs.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In general, if you're doing VM's for a production environment, it may be better to keep the NAS workload separate and run your VM's on a dedicated hypervisor. Once you start talking about complicated virtualization like "multiple passthru to Windows 10/11 VMs", the challenges of managing virtual machines while also maintaining 100% uptime for fileserver services is a bit dicey.

ZFS is capable of awesome performance, but usually requires a significant investment of resources to get it. The people hoping to put a small system with 16GB of RAM on the network and have it serve dozens of terabytes at 10GbE speeds are always disappointed. The people putting 256GB RAM systems with dozens of terabytes and a bunch of L2ARC tend to think it is much faster than disk normally would be.