Hello from Ohio

major_briggs

Cadet
My name is major_briggs and I will probably be building a TrueNAS system soon.

I currently have two Windows servers and one Synology NAS (three copies 15TBs of data). This setup has been working for many many years, but since TrueNAS is designed for data storage, I may try to move on by changing one of my Windows servers to a TrueNAS. I'm a little aprehensive since, if Windows breaks, I know how to fix it, but not a TrueNAS system.

I do have a lot of questions, but I will go searching for forums first. Just wanted to say hello.

Thanks!

Last edited:

awakewere

Cadet
My name is major_briggs and I will probably be building a TrueNAS system soon.

I currently have two Windows servers and one Synology NAS (three copies 15TBs of data). This setup has been working for many many years, but since TrueNAS is designed for data storage, I may try to move one by changing one of my Windows servers to a TrueNAS. I'm a little aprehensive since, if Windows breaks, I know how to fix it, but not a TrueNAS system.

I do have a lot of questions, but I will go searching for forums first. Just wanted to say hello.

Thanks! redactle
Hi, I am also a new member.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome back, @major_briggs , feel free to ask for help and guidance especially if you get stuck. That said, most general questions have been asked before, so searching is useful, and so is browsing the Resources section off the top bar.

@awakewere , also, welcome to you.

major_briggs

Cadet
Welcome back, @major_briggs , feel free to ask for help and guidance especially if you get stuck. That said, most general questions have been asked before, so searching is useful, and so is browsing the Resources section off the top bar.

@awakewere , also, welcome to you.
Thank you. I finally setup my TrueNAS server this past weekend. It went well. I have 7 4TB drives in RAIDZ2 attached to a 9200-8I in IT Mode. SMART long, short, and scrubbing are setup. That's all I've done! I watched a lot of Youtube videos in preparation from various channels. We'll see how it goes!