Hello from France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Max

Cadet
Hi All

I'm using FreeNAS since Dec' 2015 where I decided to have a dedicated hardware for Storage purpose. Before, I was using a Nexenta VM under ESXi with two disks synchronized each night thanks to snapshots (send/Receive between disks). It was for me a good introduction to ZFS during 2-3 years. Still before, I was running a Linux host with VMware Server, NFS and iSCSI with only an AMD Sempron64 2600+ and 1,5 GB RAM. I keep it 3 years. Even with such poor hardware, it was performing a little better than my previous installation : an IBM RS/6000 43P-140 with 384MB RAM and a PPC 604r @332MHz. Very old school, quite powerful in 2002-2004 but limited to 100Mb/s.

My current hardware is ASrock C2550D4I with 16GB RAM, 2x 2TB + 2x 1TB and a 60GB SSD for ZIL, running in a Silverstone DS380 (which is wonderful). I have mixed shares : CIFS for Windows, NFS for Linux and ESXi which also use iSCSI LUN. OS is installed on a USB key. Thanks to his forum I made the BMC firmware upgrade, I hope not have an issue !

Upgrade after upgrade, more power and less consumption !

For backup purpose, I have a Intel Server MB with Pentium 4@3GHz (rsync-based backups) and a Dual Opteron 2352 / MSI K9N / 16GB ECC (send/receive backups). This last one is a complete backup system as it is able to completly replace my ASRock, FreeNAS working perfectly on it.

On the professional side, I've been in touch with EMC and Netapp system.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.