Hello FreeNAS community

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisChros

Patron
Hi guys,

my name is Chris, I am from good old Germany and I decided to build my own NAS. So I checked out some distributions in a VM which fits better too my needs and how is the usability of the UI. At the end I choose FreeNAS and then started with planning of the hardware.
FreeBSD is a absolutely new filed for me, have some experiences with ubuntu and debian, so it could be that I am asking some stupid questions at the beginning. But I will also search in this huge forum for a solution of my problems.

My moot is: there are no stupid questions only stupid answers ;-)

cu Chris

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to review the Resources and User Guide linked at the top of the page.

ChrisChros

Patron
Thanks for the hint. Will do my very best.

roberto0610

Cadet
Hello, my name is Roberto. From Wenatchee WA-US. Here at the world wide capital of the apples. Hi. everyone. I'm approaching on building 2x FreeNAS one for my 1)LoTe [Long-Term] data and one for my 2)VERCa [Video-Editing-Rendering-Cache].
I been buying old used or refurbished gear from eBay and other local vendors to accomplish this task.
  • I have a 40Gb Network Manage Switch from Dell. with 4x ports QSFTP,
  • I have 1 Custom made server as LoTE with with 8x 2TB 72k RPMS as RAID60 total of 11TB (I'll run FreeNAS on it) basic setup. Intel CPU, 8GB ram and 8x Port SLI with 256Mb. All SATA. This Custom made NAS also has a 10GB SFTP 2x Port NIC directly connected to Switch.
  • I have 1 Dell Power Edge R910 as VERCa with 4x Intel Xenon 8 Core each with 748GB on RAM, One 600GB SAS as system disk and 2x Kingston Hyperx 960GB SSD as RAID0 to only write data to RAID0 in case of power failure. This Dell-R910 also has a 40GB QSFTP 2x Port NIC directly connected to Switch.
  • I have 2 Workstation connected to the same switch using 10GB each directly connected to network switch. This computers are CPU AMD Ryzen, using Premiere and After Effects as editing station and will use the the VERCa server to store its temporary files, caches and renders.
  • I need some help on setting up RAMDisk on the VERCa server with 640GB on the RAM it has. I has a Battery back that last about 55 Min. More than enough time to save RAMDisk to RAID0 disk.
  • Then when all my edition is done. I'll move my final files to my LongTerm spinning drives.
Will any one here at the forum point me into the right direction.
  1. Most difficult for me now I thinks its the creation of the RAMDisk and probable the Scrip to save data to RAMDisk to SSD on RAID0. then
  2. Another scrip to create, mount and load the same data to the RAMDisk.
  3. Please see my diagram on G-Drive. Took me long time to make it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uJdpJcnsjk0JpGZ9-wQGYwjxc1JraVMX/view?usp=sharing
    view

kdragon75

Wizard
Hello, my name is Roberto. From Wenatchee WA-US. Here at the world wide capital of the apples. Hi. everyone. I'm approaching on building 2x FreeNAS one for my 1)LoTe [Long-Term] data and one for my 2)VERCa [Video-Editing-Rendering-Cache].
I been buying old used or refurbished gear from eBay and other local vendors to accomplish this task.
  • I have a 40Gb Network Manage Switch from Dell. with 4x ports QSFTP,
  • I have 1 Custom made server as LoTE with with 8x 2TB 72k RPMS as RAID60 total of 11TB (I'll run FreeNAS on it) basic setup. Intel CPU, 8GB ram and 8x Port SLI with 256Mb. All SATA. This Custom made NAS also has a 10GB SFTP 2x Port NIC directly connected to Switch.
  • I have 1 Dell Power Edge R910 as VERCa with 4x Intel Xenon 8 Core each with 748GB on RAM, One 600GB SAS as system disk and 2x Kingston Hyperx 960GB SSD as RAID0 to only write data to RAID0 in case of power failure. This Dell-R910 also has a 40GB QSFTP 2x Port NIC directly connected to Switch.
  • I have 2 Workstation connected to the same switch using 10GB each directly connected to network switch. This computers are CPU AMD Ryzen, using Premiere and After Effects as editing station and will use the the VERCa server to store its temporary files, caches and renders.
  • I need some help on setting up RAMDisk on the VERCa server with 640GB on the RAM it has. I has a Battery back that last about 55 Min. More than enough time to save RAMDisk to RAID0 disk.
  • Then when all my edition is done. I'll move my final files to my LongTerm spinning drives.
Will any one here at the forum point me into the right direction.
  1. Most difficult for me now I thinks its the creation of the RAMDisk and probable the Scrip to save data to RAMDisk to SSD on RAID0. then
  2. Another scrip to create, mount and load the same data to the RAMDisk.
  3. Please see my diagram on G-Drive. Took me long time to make it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uJdpJcnsjk0JpGZ9-wQGYwjxc1JraVMX/view?usp=sharing
    view
First of all, this is not your thread to ask for help, second, this is not the help section. Please start your own thread is the correct place and we will be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.