HDR to SDR tone mapping in Plex

imagoX86

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm planning to migrate from unraid to truenas scale and I would like to know if anyone got HDR to SDR tone mapping working in Plex. According to the plex's support page the follwoing packages are required to turn this capability on in linux: ocl-icd-libopencl1 beignet-opencl-icd, does anyone have any experience with installing them and getting HDR to SDR to work?

Kind Regards

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Good question. I'm a plex user, and when that feature landed it just worked out of the box for me, I didn't have to do any setup. I'm using Intel GPU acceleration on top of it, not sure if that played a role here.

imagoX86

Cadet
Good question. I'm a plex user, and when that feature landed it just worked out of the box for me, I didn't have to do any setup. I'm using Intel GPU acceleration on top of it, not sure if that played a role here.
Oh wow, thanks!

If it works out of the box that's brilliant! Thanks for the info and now I know how I'll spend the easter weekend this year :smile:

ornias

Wizard
Those packages are included in both the official plex container, as the TrueCharts plex container out of the box :)

Yorick

Wizard
So is HDR to SDR comparable to a native 1080p, or is it the wurst thing ever?

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
So is HDR to SDR comparable to a native 1080p, or is it the wurst thing ever?
Not to be a negative nelly, but IMO no, it isn't comparable, however, it's really a personal thing. Don't get me wrong, it definitely an improvement, but personally, I won't be removing SDR content.

Ryan Hunter

Cadet
After playing with this a little I can tell you the problem is if you don't have a CPU with a passmark score over 17000 you're not going to have a good time doing SDR tonemapping using the plex plugin for truenas. I have been doing this for a while now and while the 4k transcoding offloads very well to the intel GPU the tonemapping at the moment is purely a CPU based. It does work, but unless you have a killer processor you're not going to have a good time. Has anyone else been successful offloading the tonemapping to the GPU? If so I'd love some advice on how you did it.

Yorick

Wizard
Has anyone else been successful offloading the tonemapping to the GPU?

Can you define "the GPU"? Intel Quick Sync Video - Wikipedia claims that tone mapping is a Gen 7 feature, Ice Lake and beyond. Trouble getting HDR tone mapping working on intel IGP · Issue #244 · linuxserver/docker-plex (github.com) suggests, however, this may be supported as early as Coffee Lake Refresh (ix-9xxx, Xeon E-22xxG).

Neither of these are supported in Core on the iGPU side of things, but for Scale, you should have a fighting chance ... certain Debian-isms may have to be taken into account, however. See github issue above for clues.

On the NVidia side, GTX 1060 or better should support 4k HDR to SDR tone mapping.

Ryan Hunter

Cadet
Can you define "the GPU"? Intel Quick Sync Video - Wikipedia claims that tone mapping is a Gen 7 feature, Ice Lake and beyond. Trouble getting HDR tone mapping working on intel IGP · Issue #244 · linuxserver/docker-plex (github.com) suggests, however, this may be supported as early as Coffee Lake Refresh (ix-9xxx, Xeon E-22xxG).

Neither of these are supported in Core on the iGPU side of things, but for Scale, you should have a fighting chance ... certain Debian-isms may have to be taken into account, however. See github issue above for clues.

On the NVidia side, GTX 1060 or better should support 4k HDR to SDR tone mapping.
My apologies. Specifically I'm using a XEON E1225 V6 with Intel p630 integrated graphics. According to the specs this processor is capable of decoding HDR tonemapping. The iGPU and quicksync are more than enough for truenas to handle multiple 4K streams transcoding too 1080P without the tonemapping. Once you enable tonemapping the CPU takes a dump because the tonemapping doesn't pass through to this GPU. Seems like it is possible as the chipset supports it, just don't have a software solution as of yet.

Yorick

Wizard

maximelu

Explorer
Not sure, I currently use a gen10 and have the same problem. Plex documentation say that Tonemapping depend of beignet and opencl drivers.
I read that they were going to simplify this in a future release

ornias

Wizard
Not sure, I currently use a gen10 and have the same problem. Plex documentation say that Tonemapping depend of beignet and opencl drivers.
I read that they were going to simplify this in a future release
As I actually worked on plex docker containers:
The official docker containers for plex use outdated intel drivers. It's quite standard Plex practice to put blame for their lack of development skill on the users of their software.

Try the k8s-at-home container instead, I send a driver update their way a few weeks ago.