HDD Works, then doesnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloum

Cadet
Hi all,

Im just messing about with FreeNAS 8 at the moment with some old hardware i have lying around with the intention of buying some bigger HDDs when the price comes down. I have installed it to a 80GB IDE drive and connected a 120GB SATA 2.5" drive as a storage drive. I have configured everything such as CFIS and sharing permmisions and succesfully mapped a drive on my windows 7 machine and copied data across to it no problem.

Problem is when the NAS is rebooted the PC no longer boots until i unplug the drive that the data is stored on. If i plug this drive into a windows machine it is detected in "Disk Management" but not in My COmputer until i zero out all the sectors on the drive at which point i can use the disk.

Any ideas if it is FreeNAS causing this or could it be defective hardware? I have tried it on a SATA drive and a 250GB IDE (3.5") and both disks did the same. As soon as i copy data to it and reboot, the server no longer boots until i unplug the drive.

Very strange.

p;s apologies if this has already been answered but i could think of a combination of words to search as its so strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.